View Single Post
Old 06-19-2016, 05:32 PM
Fledrmaus

Default Which one to keep?

I have two sewing machines, and both seem to do about the same stuff, so I'm considering getting rid of one. (My hairdresser wants a sewing machine, and asked if I had one for sale.)

The first is a Sears Kenmore 1701, made in 1970. It came with a box full of feet and attachments, including 20 (!) cams for decorative stitching. The wiring all looks in excellent shape, I think all it needs is to be cleaned, because someone was a little exuberant with the grease tube on the underside.

The second is a Singer Slant-o-Matic 403 special. It came with the basic 8 cams for decorative stitching, and maybe a few extra presser feet. It looks older, but also in nice condition.

I'll say right off that I'm not particularly interested in doing ornamental stitching, and have never used the cams. The only reason I got the Kenmore was because my other machine was a 201K, and I felt I should have something that would do zigzag stitching. Then I saw the Singer 403 and liked it too, so now I have 2 machines that look pretty equal in terms of what they can do.

If there was one you'd want to keep, which one would it be? The Singer or the Kenmore?