View Single Post
Old 06-23-2016, 09:08 AM
NoraB

Default Your Sewing Area - how does it all fit?

I am a lurker on all the sites that show sewing room organization. I'm beginning to wonder if that's also one of my hobbies! After spending 3 days moving stuff around, vacuuming, dragging, dusting, etc., I've got everything set up the same way as when I started!

Here are some questions I'm curious about. Chime in if you want.....

1. In most of the photos of sewing rooms, the sewing machine is usually sitting on the smallest piece of furniture, on top of a piece of furniture where there would be no leg room to sew, or a very small amount of space to the left of the sewing machine (where I would put the quilt I'm working on).
I purchased a beautiful table for $20.00..........I used to use one of those heavier folding tables with laminate wood top....the big difference for me is the new table is 48" (so now I can get into the closet without having to suck in my stomach) and the "older" table is 60" (I miss the extra 12"). What's your sewing machine sitting on? Do you find that you need more space to the left of the machine?

2. I have a large cutting table that I purchased at Costco several years ago. I love it because it is high enough so I don't bend over to cut and it's big enough to cut. There are little cubbies to hide stuff too. My "issue" is that I don't keep it cleared off.....I even put a small television in the corner of it (so I can sew and watch tv). I'll probably keep the television there. But, I'm thinking I don't need the little do-dads, ruler holder, etc. on top of it too. So......what's on your cutting table? Is it usually "empty"?
What's a good determination of how much "room" we need on the surface to cut? width of at least 22"? length of at least a yard? What do you think?

3. I have a long-arm set up in the middle of the room (I have tall furniture with cabinets along one wall, so I keep enough space to maneuver between). I don't use it every day, so I cover the machine with the cover that came with it. I also use a favorite sheet that my grandmother gave us for our wedding present to cover the rails. It ends up forming a tent over all that's under the long-arm too. My question for you is........do you cover your rails, table, etc. or do you just cover the machine? Any hints? P.S. I usually put baskets of fabric on the table portion of the long arm (trying to use that storage), but then have to move it when I get ready to sew....

4. My husband made me a big board that fits on top of my ironing board. I love it because of the width (24") and of course the length (I think 52"?). Anyway, that becomes such a huge boat in my sea of quilting stuff. I finally took the board off yesterday, will store it and use when I need to iron huge pieces of fabric (backings and tops) when I get ready to quilt. In most of the pictures of sewing rooms, they just have the regular ironing board sitting in front of bookshelves, etc. I am out of room, so after removing the big board top, I turned the ironing board at a 90 degree angle and gently pushed the front of the ironing board underneath the long arm rails.....So, all that's sticking out is about 30" of the length. I put the iron on the other side of the rails (where the tapered side is). That seems to work for now. I'm still trying to decide if I should just ask my husband to make a smaller board that will fit on top of a rolling cart I have. I miss the width of the big board already. So, where is your ironing board? Do you use a "portable" one that fits on top of another piece of furniture? If so, what size is a good size for the usual pressing of fabric pieces, pressing seams, pressing blocks, etc? P.S. I don't use the ironing board for anything else (certainly not clothes!).

5. Now.......what is the largest piece of "furniture" in your sewing room? For me....it is Me! Ha! But, fortunately, I can still crawl underneath things to get to the closet or get to the things in the cutting cubies. Mine is the long-arm, and I have to place things around it as I can. Is there anything in your sewing area that you must work around? (like the kitchen stove? the shut-off valve to the water? the doorway to outside?)

Just a wondering on my part...I'm always looking to get more "organized". Unfortunately, I think I know I have to stop putting things in the closet! Now, it's a disaster!

Have a great day sewing and my hint to everyone is "If you are thinking of rearranging your sewing room furniture.....plan it in your head before you start dragging, pulling, pushing, etc........you will save energy and precious time!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-13-2018 at 03:29 PM.