View Single Post
Old 07-07-2016, 07:34 AM
sewbizgirl
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I think I've got four done - and wanted to give a "heads up" to those doing this the first time. I am not "dissing" the quilt shops, for many, this may be the only time they've attempted to put together a pattern and fabric kit. And I know how hard it can be to get it all correct.

If you get the kit, make sure you have enough fabric, and consider all of the pieces you need to cut out, sometimes there is enough fabric only if you cut a specific way. Unfortunately most directions don't say anything about that. Good thing it's fine to swap fabrics to make it work. (I also swap if they have something I don't care for). Sometimes there will be similar fabrics and the directions don't do a real good job of identifying which fabric to use for what pieces. Of the four kits, one was missing one fabric, and another was way short of background fabric.

Double check measurements. So for I've had two of the kits with wrong measurements for cutting. And since there usually is not much extra fabric, I've ended up putting in a seam where one was not suppose to be to get things to line up and sew together.

I don't really mind the problems, I consider that part of the challenge of getting the quilt done.
Boy..., AMEN to this! I was working on one of my favorite rows last night and the pattern was terrible. The design and concept were awesome, but the designer had no clue what info needed to be in the pattern. No fabric requirements, and no dimensions of fabrics. I was using a kit and it said nothing about cutting down the fabric pieces involved. I tediously covered a 5" WOF strip with little chenille cotton bolls, only to figure out later that I had to cut 1" of it off for it to fit right in the dimensions of the row. The "sky" was 6 2.5" strips, only no final dimension for the sky was given... you were on your own to figure out how far to overlap those strips to get to the right measurement. I got it, tho and love this row! Someone less experienced is really going to have a mess trying to make it from the pattern only.