Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Row by Row question: pattern only? >

Row by Row question: pattern only?

Row by Row question: pattern only?

Old 06-26-2016, 03:50 PM

Lovely to see the discussion on Row by Row and license plates. I did pick up directions for Row by Row at a local shop, but no way to get to eight, so no plans on a Row by Row quilt this year. I am collecting license plates and have offered in our PC blocks of the month to trade with them and posted what I have bought in Iowa and Missouri. Hope to get several so I can make a wall hanging for my quilt room. Due to lost eyesight in one eye and seeing 90% with the right eye due to optic nerve damage I do not drive Dh and friends are kind enough to drive me if they have time. On the first, Quilter 65 took me to seven quilts shops in the All Iowa Shop Hop and one book store. Last Friday, a another couple took Quilter 65 and I to four Missouri quilt shops, including Missouri Star Quilts at Hamilton, Mo. Both were very enjoyable trips.

IF I lived in Hawaii I might enjoy it too much and not go anywhere I did not have to go. Living in the country in the middle of nowhere that is somewhere is what my DH and I love the most and where we retired to live. I just finished canning 37 quarts of Georgia peaches. We are happy were we live.
Old 06-26-2016, 04:44 PM

Last year I used no kits, only my stash fabric, and a few cuts to help it out.
You just need to follow the directions of making the row. You can choose any colors or types of fabric.
I tried really hard to get my rows to be the exact length, thinking they would measure exactly to make sure I did them correctly....they didn't. They just ooo'ed and ahhhh'ed over my quilt, and I allowed them to display it for about a month.
This year I'm doing the same, from my stash. I did break down and buy one kit, it was inexpensive and really cute.

Teri
Old 06-30-2016, 10:45 AM

The winning quilt at the shop I work at is gorgeous. She used her own fabrics, which just brings it all together. I'm sure it wouldn't look nearly as nice in the kits, since most of the stores did not use the row-by-row fabrics this year and just did their own thing with colours etc.
Old 06-30-2016, 03:27 PM

They interviewed RxR people on The Quilt Show a couple of weeks ago, they invited us to make the rows our own, the shop I turned my quilt in at, their row appliqued 7 people and was horizontal, I appliqued 3 people, added 2 cats and made it vertical. 3 rows I used my own fabrics, 3 rows the shops offered a plethora of kit choices, so I was able to find good options to match my border fabrics.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]553172[/ATTACH]
Originally Posted by hray View Post
Hi, all,
I picked up my first 2016 Row by Row pattern today. Last year I bought several kits but only made a few so I've resolved that I'll only get patterns this year.

My question is: for the contest, how closely does your row have to match the shop's demo? Is it enough to just follow their pattern or must you use their special fabrics, special embellishments, embroidery machine designs (yes, the one I picked up today had that as an option to buy)?

If anyone has an answer I'd love to know! Thanks in advance.

Hallie
Attached Thumbnails 13533314_10154080729647529_1370181903701536496_n.jpg  
Old 06-30-2016, 04:05 PM
Power Poster

That's an awesome quilt, MelissaMc! So much to look at. So... did you win all the fat quarters? Can't believe you already have all that done.

I have collected 4 rows so far, but not sure if I will make one of them. I have a row from last year that I never made, so I may make that and add it into my quilt. Still need a few more rows. We just don't have many quilt stores in my state, or my adjoining states, so it's going to be tough to get enough rows I like to put together. I'm having trouble with sciatica due to disc degeneration, so I can't drive long distances without sciatic pain. I may have to work on my rows one at a time and save them for a later year when I can put them all together into a quilt. Some of the rows this year are so pretty!
Old 07-07-2016, 07:34 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I think I've got four done - and wanted to give a "heads up" to those doing this the first time. I am not "dissing" the quilt shops, for many, this may be the only time they've attempted to put together a pattern and fabric kit. And I know how hard it can be to get it all correct.

If you get the kit, make sure you have enough fabric, and consider all of the pieces you need to cut out, sometimes there is enough fabric only if you cut a specific way. Unfortunately most directions don't say anything about that. Good thing it's fine to swap fabrics to make it work. (I also swap if they have something I don't care for). Sometimes there will be similar fabrics and the directions don't do a real good job of identifying which fabric to use for what pieces. Of the four kits, one was missing one fabric, and another was way short of background fabric.

Double check measurements. So for I've had two of the kits with wrong measurements for cutting. And since there usually is not much extra fabric, I've ended up putting in a seam where one was not suppose to be to get things to line up and sew together.

I don't really mind the problems, I consider that part of the challenge of getting the quilt done.
Boy..., AMEN to this! I was working on one of my favorite rows last night and the pattern was terrible. The design and concept were awesome, but the designer had no clue what info needed to be in the pattern. No fabric requirements, and no dimensions of fabrics. I was using a kit and it said nothing about cutting down the fabric pieces involved. I tediously covered a 5" WOF strip with little chenille cotton bolls, only to figure out later that I had to cut 1" of it off for it to fit right in the dimensions of the row. The "sky" was 6 2.5" strips, only no final dimension for the sky was given... you were on your own to figure out how far to overlap those strips to get to the right measurement. I got it, tho and love this row! Someone less experienced is really going to have a mess trying to make it from the pattern only.