Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Row by Row question: pattern only? >

Row by Row question: pattern only?

Row by Row question: pattern only?

Old 06-23-2016, 06:25 AM

You can go on Facebook and put in your "state row by row experience", or any state you might be travelling to, and see a lot of shops rows and license plates
Old 06-23-2016, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by K-Roll View Post
Question - each shop has their own row, is that right? each row from a shop will be different from the other shops?
Yes each shop designs their own row based on this years theme Home sweet home.
Quilt for the contest must be totally completed and have at least 8 rows in it, they can be from anywhere. The basic row should represent the original but placement or embellishment is your choice, artistic preference is allowed.
Old 06-23-2016, 11:39 AM

PLEASE clue me in on the Row by Row. I have been out of quilting since Dec. 31 due to a very bad arm break, surgery and not using my arm. So I am interested.
Mariah
Old 06-23-2016, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by vovoa View Post
Is there no row by row in Hawaii?
On our tiny island, we have one shop that did Row By Row last year. I haven't been there recently, so I don't know if she's participating this year.

*LOL* She had no idea how popular RxR is and ran out of kits the third day and had to scramble to create more: LOTS more kits!

Ha! I just looked at the map and my favorite shop is also participating this year: I really, really, really encouraged her to participate!

Looks like I'll be able to get two RxR patterns/kits this summer.

Since I haven't made 2015's yet, maybe I'll be able to include these two ......

Last edited by HouseDragon; 06-23-2016 at 03:11 PM. Reason: update
Old 06-23-2016, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Mariah View Post
PLEASE clue me in on the Row by Row. I have been out of quilting since Dec. 31 due to a very bad arm break, surgery and not using my arm. So I am interested.
Mariah
https://www.rowbyrowexperience.com/

All the info you need plus maps of where the shops are located by state.
Old 06-23-2016, 03:34 PM

I didn't participate last year, but I really want to travel and see if I can get something different.
Old 06-23-2016, 03:49 PM

I wan't going to buy any kits this year...to try and use scraps and fabric I already have. However, today I picked up a kit, because the row was appliqué and the pieces had been laser cut with a removable backing. Can't wait to get going on it! Love that the pieces are already cut. I'm not going to as many shops, because I have to finish the rows I already have.
Old 06-23-2016, 04:50 PM

Yes each shop has a different row designed by someone from the shop owner or employee some are very creative I have picked up 5 so far if you go to facebook and type in row by row experience you will get a page that shows license plates for the U.S. and Canada click on the one you are interested in and you will be able to view the row and the license will help you to decide where to go I have found way to many but it is fun and I like the kits
Old 06-25-2016, 02:20 PM

K-Roll -- yes each shop creates their pattern and you can use your own fabric. Have fun.
Old 06-26-2016, 09:26 AM

I think I've got four done - and wanted to give a "heads up" to those doing this the first time. I am not "dissing" the quilt shops, for many, this may be the only time they've attempted to put together a pattern and fabric kit. And I know how hard it can be to get it all correct.

If you get the kit, make sure you have enough fabric, and consider all of the pieces you need to cut out, sometimes there is enough fabric only if you cut a specific way. Unfortunately most directions don't say anything about that. Good thing it's fine to swap fabrics to make it work. (I also swap if they have something I don't care for). Sometimes there will be similar fabrics and the directions don't do a real good job of identifying which fabric to use for what pieces. Of the four kits, one was missing one fabric, and another was way short of background fabric.

Double check measurements. So for I've had two of the kits with wrong measurements for cutting. And since there usually is not much extra fabric, I've ended up putting in a seam where one was not suppose to be to get things to line up and sew together.

I don't really mind the problems, I consider that part of the challenge of getting the quilt done.

Last edited by Macybaby; 06-26-2016 at 09:29 AM.