View Single Post
Old 07-16-2016, 10:46 AM
imagirlgeek

Originally Posted by Bree123 View Post
Honestly, I haven't worked with monofilament for quilting since my first quilted project (a tablerunner). I bought a cheapy nylon mono from JAF that I definitely wouldn't recommend because after 7 years or so, the stitches were brittle & snapped so I have to re-quilt much of the runner & it's sat in my "to do" pile for the last 2 years. There are a lot of quality nylon monos out there (including YLI & Aurifil) and they are great for many things -- I use the YLI for couching and hope to maybe give the Aurifil a try when I run out -- but poly is a bit less fussy to work with and it also holds up much better in the dryer (not sure how old he is, but teen/college-aged boys are rarely known for their laundering prowess -- they tend to put everything in the dyer on High so it's done quicker). The one downside of poly is that it is slightly shinier and therefore just slightly more visible, though that's not quite as noticeable with the smoke than with the clear mono. It's a trade-off either way. Sulky & Superior are both reputable brands.

I know many more people who use Superior mono both in my guild and on this Board. Note that Superior recommends a Size 60/8 needle with a top tension setting of no more than 2.
I admit I just had to look up what 'couching' is...I'm in LOVE with that technique! It's taking everything in me not to go do that right now! I know I'm not ready now, but expect that I will be back at some point to get advice on this. I crochet a lot, so I have several bins of different fibers that I'm already imagining as embellishments. Not for this quilt, but wow, this just changed the game!

He's 14, but I'll be washing it. I'm very territorial about my washer. And I'm just going to get a variety of brands of the mono so I can see what works for me.