Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
1st Quilt: Thread color advice >

1st Quilt: Thread color advice

1st Quilt: Thread color advice

Old 07-14-2016, 08:57 AM

Default 1st Quilt: Thread color advice

Hello all!

For some reason, I watched a few videos, read a few blogs, and decided I could make a quilt. I blame all of you for making it look so easy. haha

So here I am weeks later, after cutting and re-cutting, sewing and re-sewing, finally ready to make the sandwich and start the quilting process and I just can't decide on a thread color. I've tried a few different colors (black, red, gray, white) on some scrap, but they all seem to take away from the print.

I am open to any and all suggestions. This quilt will be for my stepson who is a Walking Dead fanatic, so I was thinking that a geometric quilting design would be more masculine, but I'm open to changing that plan if someone has a better idea. I'm attaching a photo of one of the rows and the backing fabric I plan to use.

I look forward to hearing what you all suggest!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]553930[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails quilt.jpg  
Old 07-14-2016, 09:09 AM

I suggest a gray that blends with your background. With the blocks with the figures outline squares and some other bits depending on the size. Do you geometric lines in the background gray and black. I am sure your stepson will love it whatever you decide
Old 07-14-2016, 09:10 AM
Power Poster

I would use a fine grey thread. It would blend in with everything.
Old 07-14-2016, 09:14 AM

Gray would blend in more. Maybe try a thinner poly thread for quilting. The thinner the thread the less noticeable it is.
Old 07-14-2016, 09:45 AM

Thank you! I have a lot of machine embroidery thread that is a 50 weight. I'll give that a shot! I didn't even think to try a finer thread.
Old 07-14-2016, 10:41 AM
Power Poster

I would try the grey thread but I would suggest to try to outline around the figures and the letters.
Old 07-14-2016, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by imagirlgeek View Post
Thank you! I have a lot of machine embroidery thread that is a 50 weight. I'll give that a shot! I didn't even think to try a finer thread.

Exactly what I was going to suggest. Will the quilt be hanging on the wall or actually used? None of mine are on the bed except in the quest room as a decorative addition to the room. Best wishes. He's going to love it!
Old 07-14-2016, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I would try the grey thread but I would suggest to try to outline around the figures and the letters.
Oh! I like that idea! I like that a lot!
Old 07-14-2016, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by pj1042 View Post
Exactly what I was going to suggest. Will the quilt be hanging on the wall or actually used? None of mine are on the bed except in the quest room as a decorative addition to the room. Best wishes. He's going to love it!
I'm not sure, actually. I know it won't hang on the wall because all the wall space is taken up by Walking Dead posters , but at the same time I know it won't be getting a lot of wear and tear since he's not here full time. He's been here while I've been working on it, but hasn't seen it pieced together. I just hope he enjoys having it as much as I've enjoyed working on it.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:26 AM
Power Poster

It is going to be super! I would quilt with grey thread and I would SITD (stitch in the ditch) around the block and the shadow. I would then use the lines bisecting the focus squares to quilt on for more quilting so the big blocks don't sag.