Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   1st Quilt: Thread color advice (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/1st-quilt-thread-color-advice-t280430.html)

imagirlgeek 07-14-2016 08:57 AM

1st Quilt: Thread color advice

1 Attachment(s)
Hello all!

For some reason, I watched a few videos, read a few blogs, and decided I could make a quilt. ;) I blame all of you for making it look so easy. haha

So here I am weeks later, after cutting and re-cutting, sewing and re-sewing, finally ready to make the sandwich and start the quilting process and I just can't decide on a thread color. I've tried a few different colors (black, red, gray, white) on some scrap, but they all seem to take away from the print.

I am open to any and all suggestions. This quilt will be for my stepson who is a Walking Dead fanatic, so I was thinking that a geometric quilting design would be more masculine, but I'm open to changing that plan if someone has a better idea. I'm attaching a photo of one of the rows and the backing fabric I plan to use.

I look forward to hearing what you all suggest!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]553930[/ATTACH]

Pagzz 07-14-2016 09:09 AM

I suggest a gray that blends with your background. With the blocks with the figures outline squares and some other bits depending on the size. Do you geometric lines in the background gray and black. I am sure your stepson will love it whatever you decide

dunster 07-14-2016 09:10 AM

I would use a fine grey thread. It would blend in with everything.

Dolphyngyrl 07-14-2016 09:14 AM

Gray would blend in more. Maybe try a thinner poly thread for quilting. The thinner the thread the less noticeable it is.

imagirlgeek 07-14-2016 09:45 AM

Thank you! I have a lot of machine embroidery thread that is a 50 weight. I'll give that a shot! I didn't even think to try a finer thread.

ManiacQuilter2 07-14-2016 10:41 AM

I would try the grey thread but I would suggest to try to outline around the figures and the letters.

pj1042 07-14-2016 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by imagirlgeek (Post 7601709)
Thank you! I have a lot of machine embroidery thread that is a 50 weight. I'll give that a shot! I didn't even think to try a finer thread.

Exactly what I was going to suggest. Will the quilt be hanging on the wall or actually used? None of mine are on the bed except in the quest room as a decorative addition to the room. Best wishes. He's going to love it!

imagirlgeek 07-14-2016 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 (Post 7601751)
I would try the grey thread but I would suggest to try to outline around the figures and the letters.

Oh! I like that idea! I like that a lot!

imagirlgeek 07-14-2016 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by pj1042 (Post 7601757)
Exactly what I was going to suggest. Will the quilt be hanging on the wall or actually used? None of mine are on the bed except in the quest room as a decorative addition to the room. Best wishes. He's going to love it!

I'm not sure, actually. I know it won't hang on the wall because all the wall space is taken up by Walking Dead posters :eek:, but at the same time I know it won't be getting a lot of wear and tear since he's not here full time. He's been here while I've been working on it, but hasn't seen it pieced together. I just hope he enjoys having it as much as I've enjoyed working on it. :)

Tartan 07-14-2016 11:26 AM

It is going to be super! I would quilt with grey thread and I would SITD (stitch in the ditch) around the block and the shadow. I would then use the lines bisecting the focus squares to quilt on for more quilting so the big blocks don't sag.