Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   1st Quilt: Thread color advice (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/1st-quilt-thread-color-advice-t280430.html)

Friday1961 07-16-2016 02:58 PM

Good for you! and your row looks great! No advice on which thread; you got good tips from others. Your stepson is going to love this quilt made especially for him. Be sure to add a label to that effect!

MargeD 07-16-2016 03:48 PM

I think a grey thread would work well, sometimes you can find variegated grey threads, I have a think for variegated threads when quilting, but then I'm sort of weird. My DS and DDIL love the Walking Dead Series, not my cup of tea, but he'll be trilled with the quilt.

Bree123 07-16-2016 06:46 PM

Kinda had to laugh at the idea of watching TV while hand quilting. I'm a total newbie & have less than 5 hours practice, but it literally takes all my attention and still is pretty much a mess. Stitches are not even & I spent a lot of time and money of hoop, thread, needles, thimble, lighting, classes, etc. I absolutely encourage you to give it a try, just know you won't have any idea what's going on with your shows for a while. Way, way harder to learn than anything else I've done and I've been doing other types of hand needlework for nearly 20 years! But golly is it beautiful when done right & I promised my brother & SIL a hand quilted whole cloth for their newborn, so I've kinda gotta stick it out. :D

imagirlgeek 07-17-2016 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Bree123 (Post 7603446)
Kinda had to laugh at the idea of watching TV while hand quilting. I'm a total newbie & have less than 5 hours practice, but it literally takes all my attention and still is pretty much a mess. Stitches are not even & I spent a lot of time and money of hoop, thread, needles, thimble, lighting, classes, etc. I absolutely encourage you to give it a try, just know you won't have any idea what's going on with your shows for a while. Way, way harder to learn than anything else I've done and I've been doing other types of hand needlework for nearly 20 years! But golly is it beautiful when done right & I promised my brother & SIL a hand quilted whole cloth for their newborn, so I've kinda gotta stick it out. :D

Haha! I know how that is! There is a meme out there for crochet that says something like, "You know you are addicted to crochet when you've watched 3 seasons of a tv show but have no idea what any of the characters actually look like." :D Before I decided I would try my hand at quilting, I crocheted every night, so there was a lot of, "Wait, what did I miss??" My poor husband.

imagirlgeek 07-17-2016 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by mme3924 (Post 7603293)
Good for you! and your row looks great! No advice on which thread; you got good tips from others. Your stepson is going to love this quilt made especially for him. Be sure to add a label to that effect!

Good idea! I could actually make use of the embroidery option on my machine to make a nice label!

imagirlgeek 07-17-2016 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by MargeD (Post 7603318)
I think a grey thread would work well, sometimes you can find variegated grey threads, I have a think for variegated threads when quilting, but then I'm sort of weird. My DS and DDIL love the Walking Dead Series, not my cup of tea, but he'll be trilled with the quilt.

I've seen a lot of people online who love the variegated thread. I'll have to check those out!

imagirlgeek 10-01-2016 01:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi All! It's been a while, but I just finished this quilt and I wanted to share the end result. I'm quite happy with it, considering it's my first one, and couldn't have done it without all the great advice you all gave me.

I also learned a lot about what works, and what doesn't, and what I will do differently on my next quilt. Overall, I had a lot of fun making it and can't wait to make another. :)

So, Thank You!! Look what we made!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]559391[/ATTACH]

feline fanatic 10-01-2016 02:22 PM

That turned out great. I never would have guessed this is your first quilt. Aaaannnd..... did your stepson love it??

I think you should start a new topic in the pictures forum with a picture of the completed quilt.

imagirlgeek 10-01-2016 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic (Post 7666203)
That turned out great. I never would have guessed this is your first quilt. Aaaannnd..... did your stepson love it??

I think you should start a new topic in the pictures forum with a picture of the completed quilt.

Thank you! The guidance I got here was outstanding, and made the difference between finishing the quilt and throwing the sewing machine and all my supplies out the window.

Stepson hasn't seen it yet. He'll be here in a couple of weeks, so I have time to run it through the washing machine and fix anything that may unravel. ;)