View Single Post
Old 07-26-2016, 09:31 AM
tlpa

I had a Bernina 170 that did embroidery. I only used the embroidery part for the lettering (which it did beautifully), but when it died I knew I wanted the option of embroidery even though I knew I would primarily sew/quilt with it. I wanted the option of lettering for initials & monograms for gifts etc. I purchased a 2nd hand Janome 12000 at an excellent price. I have had it a year now and have only done one embroidery project. For me, I haven't invested in the myriad of threads and stabilizers as I don't use the embroidery part enough to need all that. For the quilt I made with embroidery, I had one package of stabilizer on hand that I purchased for my old Bernina, and the embroidery was one color which I used a silk thread that I had on hand (although I think I will get a thin bobbin thread for the next project). I was happy with the embroidery, and the quilt was well loved by the recipient. Probably because I don't use the embroidery unit that often, when I go to use it I find it a little daunting and I need to refer to the manual and take some time to figure it all out again. But I still want to have the option.