View Single Post
Old 08-01-2016, 04:47 AM
Maureen NJ

I love your table runner and I'm sure your daughter will love it too. I love Bree's ideas although I would probably use SID around pineapples since they are so pretty. I'd use a medium gray or taupe thread #50 cotton. Somewhere, probably on here, I read to SID on low side (seams have been pressed to one side) and to spread the fabric out slightly. That way when you release your hands, the stitching will not show. Straight line quilting with a walking foot is great. I would pin baste this piece and start at the center and workout. I don't know why but sometimes I need to readjust the pins to avoid little pleats (anyone know why?). For big projects, I always follow Sharon Schambers method from YouTube to baste with boards using a Herringbone stitch. No pleating at all with this method. I love separate binding and hope you have enough fabric to do this. Cut 2 1/4 to 2 1/2" depending on thickness of batting so you end up with the same amount showing on the front and back. With your border, you won't be cutting off points in piecing, so I would just cut it 2 1/2" and sew a 3/8" seam if you need to. I love McCall's Sharon Driver's 4 videos for doing binding. So easy. BTW, I would use cotton batting as polyester would melt if something hot was placed on it and I would check the batting for distance you need to quilt. Can't wait to see the finished runner.