Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is it ok to ask "how" to quilt here? >

Is it ok to ask "how" to quilt here?

Is it ok to ask "how" to quilt here?

Old 08-02-2016, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by mjpEncinitas View Post
I much prefer the quilting over the piecing. We would make a good quilting team jackiequilts4fun

Where are you located?
Maybe I should just send this to you to quilt for me!!!
What would you charge me?
Could you do it?

I started marking it last night with chalk to do some straight line quilting.
I didn't have the right thread, though.
Thought I'd stop for that today.

Ladies, if I sent this out for meandering quilting on the border what would that cost?
I do know a couple of ladies who do it.
I could do the SID & bind it myself.
Old 08-02-2016, 07:22 AM

Anything that had a different design in one area versus another is considered CUSTOM quilting. Doing meandering just on the borders would be custom. On top of that, you'd want to ask the LA'er:
1) Would she accept a quilt that was already partially quilted (assuming you are going to SID or otherwise straight line quilt the pineapples -- they need something to secure them or the quilt will come apart over time with laundering and/or batting will shift and bunch)?
2) Is there a minimum charge for her to do work?
3) What do you need to do to prep your quilt for LA'ing?
4) How long would it take to complete the job?
5) And, of course, make sure you get everything in writing: type/color/weight/brand of thread, description/sketch of design, cost, delivery date, what happens in case of a cost overrun, type of batting & whether you're providing batting or LA'er is, whether binding is going to be made/attached at all, and if so, how?

Cost varies by geographic area. By me (Chicago suburbs), custom quilting typically runs $0.05 - 0.06 per square inch (take length x width of your runner and then multiply it by 0.05). So a 20x50" runner would be around $50. The LA'ers by me have a minimum charge of $45 so I'd probably just have them do the straight line (SID) quilting & something in the borders -- why not pick a really lovely design if you're paying for it to be professionally quilted -- since it's going to end up somewhere around the minimum charge anyways?

FYI ... members can get kicked off the site for promoting their quilting services in threads (other than a link to their website in their signature). Your best bet is to get recommendations from those who have used their services here & can provide you a link to their business, allowing you to contact them directly rather than through QB. We have, sadly, lost some really incredible members this way in the past so it's best to just conduct any business off-site, imho. That said, although I quilt all my own quilts, I know I've seen some really incredible professional quilters here on QB!!!
Old 08-02-2016, 07:28 AM

I prefer to do minimal quilting and not 'confuse' the piecing. On this, my first thought is to do a wavy line thru the center of the first, third and fifth strip in the block. And maybe a small flower or circle in the very center. I would do a large more floral line down the borders. Whether you self bind or use a separate binding is your choice (remember, it is your runner, you get to make the rules!). But, I would tend to do the blue-silver rather than the aqua. I really like your colors and really, really like that you used a small white frame for the blocks.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:29 AM
Power Poster

The fabric you have chosen is gorgeous and bearisgray pointed out that you had matched the border strips, which I had failed to notice, but fantastic design element. I might do SID every other strip on the quilt blocks, then maybe a cable or cross hatching in the border, but there are lots of options. I am afraid I am a SID and straight line machine quilter, haven't gotten my big girl panties in other types of quilting, but I'm trying to get brave enough to just go for it.
Old 08-02-2016, 11:40 AM

I think your piece is gorgeous! If you are nervous about quilting it, find a long arm person and have her do it. Practice and learn on a piece that doesn't matter so much emotionally. Either way your daughter is going to love it.
Old 08-02-2016, 01:19 PM

Very good advice, sewbizgirl!
Old 08-02-2016, 04:40 PM

Your runner is beautiful! Love the print you decided to use for the border! If you use one of the fabrics you mentioned for the backing -- the aqua print or the grayish silver print -- for the backing, then I would turn it to the front as the binding. Not sure which fabric you mean that's in the pineapple, but that mottled silvery lilac that is the lower right hand triangle of the block that encloses the center square would look smashing, I think.

Whatever you do, it will look stunning.

Sorry, no recommendations on the quilting. I'm a novice in that department myself.
Old 08-02-2016, 07:23 PM

If you were close by (San Diego) I would have you come over and practice the walking foot quilting and then you could quilt this beautiful pineapple quilt. I just taught two of my friends how to walking foot quilt and FMQ a few weekends ago. (See the hen party post). I don't quilt or teach for money. Have too many projects of my own to finish up and not sure I'm good enough anyway. I wish I lived closer! Well actually I wish you lived closer, can't beat the 75 degree beautiful weather here.

Consider practicing for an hour or so with your walking foot and getting a feel for whether its doable. I really do think you could use your walking foot and with a bit of practice before hand do a very good job on this. The quilt will be beautiful no matter what you decide.