Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is it ok to ask "how" to quilt here? >

Is it ok to ask "how" to quilt here?

Is it ok to ask "how" to quilt here?

Old 07-31-2016, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Yikes Bree123, that's a LOT of quilting for a beginner.
It's all straight lines except if she does any flowers & those are optional -- plus, honestly, unless using a very bright thread or a 28wt, the quilting in the borders really won't show up. I did something comparable with placemats for my 2nd quilting project (1st one was a SID table runner from JAF's BOM). I don't really think doing lines every 1/2" is any more difficult than doing lines every 2", but maybe that's just my personal experience. The nice thing about table runners is that you have very flat batting so when combined with a Walking Foot, the movement is very similar to piecing -- which she's clearly quite skilled at!
Old 07-31-2016, 09:06 PM

No suggestion for quilting this other than SID but it is beautiful. I like sewbizgirl's suggestion.
Old 07-31-2016, 10:31 PM

It's beautiful, beautiful! Your piecing is brilliant and so are the colors. I'd SITD for the pineapple parts. As for the border, I'm wondering if you'd consider using a stencil? Maybe a simple vine pattern? That way you'd be following lines and the quilt would have a mix of straight and curvy lines.
Old 08-01-2016, 03:36 AM
Power Poster

I myself would quilt this using my Bernina. I would first stitch in the ditch in the pineapple blocks. My preference is to see the beautiful piecing and not have any quilting being a distraction. The I would crosshatch the border 1" or 1.25" or 1.5" whichever looks proportionally correct with this lovely table runner. Good Luck!
Attached Thumbnails amish-triangles-marks.jpg  
Old 08-01-2016, 03:47 AM

Very nice Jackie! I used painters tape the last time I did a crosshatch design and just sewed next to the tape. I reused or put a new strip down after each line because that was easier than marking a large area all at once.
PS I have a stitch regulator for half off of retail if you want one for your SS.
Old 08-01-2016, 04:03 AM

WOW, thanks so much ladies for your suggestions about the quilting.

I cannot wait to find myself a FMQ class ... & maybe get some help with my SS machine, but yes, I am not brave enough to get into anything complicated on this project.

I DO love the straight lines though, & feel certain that I can do that!!
I LOVE the painter's tape idea, bc every time I have chalked lines, I've never been happy with it.

I'm going to make another quick post about thread & stitch length ... so that it will get noticed & get some traffic.

Thank you so much .... loved the ideas!!! Could never have come up with this on my own.
Old 08-01-2016, 04:16 AM

Many great ideas on how to quilt your lovely tablerunner. My question: what is the width of the border?, center pineapples? From the pic it seems those borders are very wide........taking away from your piećing. Jmho
Old 08-01-2016, 04:47 AM

I love your table runner and I'm sure your daughter will love it too. I love Bree's ideas although I would probably use SID around pineapples since they are so pretty. I'd use a medium gray or taupe thread #50 cotton. Somewhere, probably on here, I read to SID on low side (seams have been pressed to one side) and to spread the fabric out slightly. That way when you release your hands, the stitching will not show. Straight line quilting with a walking foot is great. I would pin baste this piece and start at the center and workout. I don't know why but sometimes I need to readjust the pins to avoid little pleats (anyone know why?). For big projects, I always follow Sharon Schambers method from YouTube to baste with boards using a Herringbone stitch. No pleating at all with this method. I love separate binding and hope you have enough fabric to do this. Cut 2 1/4 to 2 1/2" depending on thickness of batting so you end up with the same amount showing on the front and back. With your border, you won't be cutting off points in piecing, so I would just cut it 2 1/2" and sew a 3/8" seam if you need to. I love McCall's Sharon Driver's 4 videos for doing binding. So easy. BTW, I would use cotton batting as polyester would melt if something hot was placed on it and I would check the batting for distance you need to quilt. Can't wait to see the finished runner.
Old 08-01-2016, 05:00 AM

I appreciate your opinion & I wonder what the others think, too.

I considered that!

I was going to use a lighter fabric for the border (a pretty grayish silver print) but my other daughter said NO, that this darker fabric made the table runner more youthful. I had to cut the border larger to accommodate the pattern. After seams it should come out to 5" on each side, and the blocks are 9" if I recall. Yes, it's a wider runner, but her table is wide. Not extra large wide, but 40-ish, I recall.
Old 08-01-2016, 05:04 AM

Maureen, when you say to SID on the low side, are you referring to the side that does NOT have the seam pressed to that side?

Thanks!