View Single Post
Old 08-06-2016, 12:33 PM
rryder

I have often used Fusible Fleece for wall hangings. I fuse the backing to the fleece, so it's nice and flat, then if it's a small piece I will spray baste the top to the fleece. If it's a larger wall hanging I pin baste the top to the fleece. Fusible Fleece is relatively thin, so it's great for wall hangings where you don't want a lot of puffiness. I've never had to block any of the wall hangings I did with it--they've all hung straight and square without blocking. I have also been known to use a combination of Fusible Fleece and another type of batting (whatever I have on hand, usually warm and natural cotton, or a combination bamboo rayon) which I put in areas where I want more definition to the quilting. I just layer those over top of the fleece after it's fused to the backing.

Like others have said, it just depends on what kinds of effects you're looking for. Patsy Thompson makes lovely pieces where she puts multiple layers over top of her main batting in areas where she really wants lots of definition or faux trapunto effects. I think she uses wool over cotton, but she may use other things as well.

If the piece is not going to be laundered, then you can get away with mixing different types of batting in order to get different effects in different areas.

Rob
<object type="cosymantecnisbfw" cotype="cs" id="SILOBFWOBJECTID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;"></object>

Last edited by rryder; 08-06-2016 at 12:36 PM.