Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which quilt batting for wall hanging? >

Which quilt batting for wall hanging?

Which quilt batting for wall hanging?

Old 08-05-2016, 09:34 PM

Default Which quilt batting for wall hanging?

What is the best batting to use for a wall hanging quilt?
Old 08-05-2016, 09:59 PM

I use whatever batting I have that will fit the size needed. That said my wall hangings tend to be minis, as small as 15" X 15" but no larger than 40" X 40". The type of batting that I usually have on hand is 100% cotton and some poly batting.
Old 08-06-2016, 03:04 AM
Power Poster

Depends on the wallhanging. If you want a lot of Quilting Definition a ( loftier) batting is required-- if you want it to be flat a thin batting. Also, if it will ever be laundered ...is some shrinkage ok? ( cotton) if not-- polyester... There is no right/ wrong; best/ worse: each project has its own ( need) use what meets your needs. Does the quilting detail determine a big part of the overall piece? Or it is the design, with the quilting just holding it together? When your hanging top is together you can determine which batting will be best for that particular ( picture)
Old 08-06-2016, 05:05 AM

My favorite batting for a wall hanging is Quilter's Dream Request Cotton. It is thin and the wall hangings seem to lay flatter. That being said, I have actually used leftover batting of whichever size fits the quilt and it has been a variety of brands and lofts.
Old 08-06-2016, 07:13 AM

I generally think the blends look nicest as they combine a bit of loft from the synthetic fiber with the definition & flatness of cotton. Fairfield makes some lovely battings. They have a 50/50 cotton/bamboo rayon called Nature-Fil. By using cotton blends, you have the option of steam blocking (my preference) versus wet blocking the quilt. I haven't personally worked with Nature-Fil due to an allergy to rayon, but I've seen it in many quilts & it is quite stunning. I've worked with Fairfield's 80/20 cotton/poly blend called Fairfield Cotton Classic. It is also quite lovely for wall quilts & can be steam blocked.
Old 08-06-2016, 12:33 PM

I have often used Fusible Fleece for wall hangings. I fuse the backing to the fleece, so it's nice and flat, then if it's a small piece I will spray baste the top to the fleece. If it's a larger wall hanging I pin baste the top to the fleece. Fusible Fleece is relatively thin, so it's great for wall hangings where you don't want a lot of puffiness. I've never had to block any of the wall hangings I did with it--they've all hung straight and square without blocking. I have also been known to use a combination of Fusible Fleece and another type of batting (whatever I have on hand, usually warm and natural cotton, or a combination bamboo rayon) which I put in areas where I want more definition to the quilting. I just layer those over top of the fleece after it's fused to the backing.

Like others have said, it just depends on what kinds of effects you're looking for. Patsy Thompson makes lovely pieces where she puts multiple layers over top of her main batting in areas where she really wants lots of definition or faux trapunto effects. I think she uses wool over cotton, but she may use other things as well.

If the piece is not going to be laundered, then you can get away with mixing different types of batting in order to get different effects in different areas.

Rob
<object type="cosymantecnisbfw" cotype="cs" id="SILOBFWOBJECTID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;"></object>

Last edited by rryder; 08-06-2016 at 12:36 PM.
Old 08-07-2016, 02:17 AM

I sometimes use a good grade of felt (sold at Hobby Lobby) if the wall hanging is not going to be washed a lot. Very cheap and works well. I also sometimes use felt instead of batting in my Christmas stockings since these are not washed much....the felt is polyester and can be washed if necessary but I would be careful in laundering it...sometimes also use pieced batting...good way to use up all those long strips of fabric that you cut off.
Old 08-07-2016, 10:07 AM
Power Poster

I don't believe there is one specific batting for wall quilts. It is just what you prefer to use.