View Single Post
Old 08-07-2016, 07:39 AM
Bree123

I agree with the others. Pink is quite lovely, but the yellow is really eye-catching. I don't think there's really any easy way to make applique work -- especially by machine. Part of the issue is that you would have 4 applique pieces all together in one spot, so it will draw quite a bit of attention unless you plan to quilt very heavily (0.5-0.75" spacing). Lisa is right that likely the yellow with nothing behind it will read differently than the yellow with pink behind it, so you'd have to take that and the added thickness into account when doing your overall layout to try to spread them out. This is especially true because the yellow is so bright, it becomes the focal point of each block.

Perhaps instead of trying to cover over it with the yellow fabric, you could add some embroidery or applique butterflies or something that would cover most of the pink, but would look more intentional. For example, if you put a featherweight stabilizer on the applique fabric, fused that to the pink squares & machine appliqued it to them, that would mostly cover up the pink, but still look intentional. You'd just have to spread them out when laying out your blocks for the quilt top. I'm not really sure that would save you any time, but it's an option if you seriously hate seam ripping & would rather sew something else on.