Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help needed fixing my mistake >

Help needed fixing my mistake

Help needed fixing my mistake

Old 08-07-2016, 04:36 AM

Default Help needed fixing my mistake

With this new quilt I've really gone out of my safe zone with colours which has turned out OK except for one...which I can't stand. It glares out at me everytime I look at my design wall. I've done half the blocks for the quilt, so I can't see myself pulling them ALL apart and starting over, besides which that would distort all the blocks.
You'll see from the pictures that the offending squares are not that big...I'm wondering if
A)I can just applique over them with the new fabric? And then use a decorative stitch around them once the top is put together?
B) for the strips that aren't sewn together into blocks yet, you'll see the fabric I want to get rid of (pink)is on the ends of the strip. Can I just replace it with the new fabric (yellow) or will that make the applique ones stand out? What if I still did the decorative stitch around them at the end?
C) Can I Steam a Seam the new fabric to the pink so that at least three seams are sewn and then use the same decorative stitch around them?
D) Is there a better way?

Any help appreciated,
Watson
[ATTACH=CONFIG]555474[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]555475[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]555476[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_0229_zpsuavearzd.jpg   img_0228_zps05vbtq0v.jpg   img_0230_zpsybfhh5ti.jpg  
Old 08-07-2016, 04:42 AM

it wouldn't be difficult to take out the pink and replace it w/ the yellow. I do like the yellow better. If you break every 2nd or 3rd stitch, the pieces will "tear" off.
Old 08-07-2016, 04:54 AM

I don't think that it looks badly the way it is. If you are bound and determined to replace the "pink" fabric - my suggestion is rip it out (imho).

Using SteamaSeam will change the actual feel of the blocks in my opinion and if you plan on switching the fabric out in the blocks that are currently unmade the difference in feel and drape will be apparent. If you rip out the sides - it will only take a few seconds more to remove the piece completely and you might be happier in the end. You will only need to rip just past the seam allowance to replace the square and it should not distort the squares at all.
Old 08-07-2016, 05:13 AM

If you could take some additional photos, I think a longer view (showing all of the blocks) would be more helpful in assessing both the original and replacement fabrics. The photo with the pink doesn't show the blue or much of the green, so we're not seeing it in context. Imo, the contrast is better with the pink, and I don't think the yellow has the right 'weight' to go with the other fabrics.

I don't think the applique idea would work, because the yellow is very light and will look different with the pink behind it than the yellow without the pink behind it.

Edit

I like it with the pink; I think that fabric goes well with the others.

Last edited by joe'smom; 08-07-2016 at 05:19 AM.
Old 08-07-2016, 05:15 AM

Though it may bee time consuming, I would have to rip them out verses the other methods.
Old 08-07-2016, 05:17 AM

I have to agree with the two previous posts. Because the pink is at the edge of the blocks, it should not be that hard to open the seams and replace. Yes it will take a little work but not nearly as much as appliquéing over them would entail.

If you are determined to change them, go get your seam ripper!
Old 08-07-2016, 05:53 AM
Power Poster

I agree with joe'smom - more pictures would help. I see nothing wrong with the pink, but it's your quilt. Would it work to keep the blocks you've made, but make the new ones with yellow, and mix them up in the quilt? Then if you still hate the pink, I would start ripping it out. Other corrections may seem like they would take less time, but it will probably go pretty quickly, and really is the best solution - if you still hate the pink. (You've probably already spent more time thinking about other solutions than it would have taken to un-sew and replace the pink. I find I do that all the time.)
Old 08-07-2016, 06:37 AM
Power Poster

​The original squares look fine in the closeup but I need a larger veiw to see how they work at a distance.
Old 08-07-2016, 06:51 AM

I don't think the pink is out of place but I defiitely like the yellow better because it gives it more sparkle

If it was me and I wanted to switch it out my best friend "Rip It" would be my tool of choice.

LOL just to let you know... I can realte to your dilemma and yes since I'm a bit of a perfectionist, I ripped ripped rip!
Old 08-07-2016, 07:02 AM

Yes, in the time it takes you to formulate an applique plan, you could have ripped all that pink out and replaced it with yellow. If you don't like it, you don't like it. Nothing we say will change that ;-). It's very easy to fix...trust me, I did something similar recently. I know how painful undoing things can be, but in the long run you'll be happier for it.

Here's how to do it without having to do inlaid seams:
On the white strips joined with the pink, seam rip about a half inch past the pink, which will free two sides of the pink, plus allow extra for re-sewing seams without having to do set-ins. Then seam rip the remaining pink seam off. Sew the yellow square onto the seam where you've just seam ripped the pink, and then re-attach the white sides. This is all square work, so shouldn't stretch the blocks. If it does, though, do a little trimming up

Do you hear my experience talking? ;-).

Good luck.

Last edited by TeresaA; 08-07-2016 at 07:05 AM.