Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Help fixing booboo

Unhappy Help fixing booboo

I accidently cut small nicks in the binding. Is there any way this can be fixed or do I have to bite the bullet and replace the binding. There are 2 and both are small. I tried to hand stitch over them but that does not look very good. This is for a gift or I would just let it go. Please help!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you wrap an applique design of some sort around from the front, cover a nick, over to the back??
    Linda
    http://quiltingbiker.blogspot.com

I would try the applique also!
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

I would remove that section of binding and replace it.

Blog Entries
    What if you make 2 small pieces of binding, single thickness and just add them on top of the old? Fold the ends under before sewing them on, the little pockets shouldn't show much
    OR you could just unsew those sections, cut the cut spots out, piece in two new sections and then sew it back down.
    “The simplest toy, one which even the youngest child can operate, is called a grandparent.” Sam Levenson

Power Poster
    Are the 2 small nicks close together? If so I would replace the section. If they are far apart I would applique something over them. I would have it go with the quilt theme. If it was baseball fabric, I'd applique a couple of baseballs over the nicks wrapping them to the back and maybe putting the same applique by the label?

Blog Entries
    It also depends where on the binding it is ... is it on the top or bottom or on the edge - the edge will get a lot of stress on it and won't be easy to applique over - top or bottom is easier to appliques something over it
    To keep your mind fresh- learn one new thing a day !

I was at a quilt market/show in Salt Lake City this spring and walked past a booth that had a product that you put on tears/rips and it would fix them! I can't remember the name of the product, but let me see if I can find the name of it for you. Apparently it washes/wears as if it never happened!

I also would remove that section and put a new one in.

I remember seeing that "repair product" too but I can't remember the name either. It appeared to work in the demonstration, but you know how that goes sometimes.
    Shari

How would it be making a decorative tab in each spot that you could wrap from back to front and hold in place with a button or stitching? If youput a few of them on, it would look deliberate, and part of the design.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    I would remove that section of binding and replace it.
    this is what i would do
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I would remove that section of binding and replace it. I am too OCD to do anything else. It's too bad that happened.
    Sue

You could cut a small piece of fusible interfacing,, preferably a circle so not sharp points will show. Press on where the nip is and then I use fray check on the right side to keep it from fraying. If you use a very light weight fusible, I think you can work with it. I use this to fix holes in knit shirts that are well loved to let them last a little longer.

I would replace the section(s) with new binding. All the work put into a quilt (esp. a gift) deserves a quality finish!

Thanks for the advice. I was looking for the cheater"s way out. Unfortunately (?)these are on the edge and are very small. This is a binding where I brought the backing fabric over to the front to use as binding. Was just thinking maybe I could rip out that portion and refold to put small overlay on the back over the cut and then make the folded binding not as thick in that area. I will play with this a little and let you know how I did . This is for a table runner so it will not get as much use as a quilt but fixs may be more noticible.

I used FrayBlock by June Taylor. Gave quilt away, don't know if it held forever, but looked good when I washed it before sending. Drys soft.