Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help needed fixing my mistake >

Help needed fixing my mistake

Help needed fixing my mistake

Old 08-07-2016, 07:04 AM
Power Poster

Are you referring to the two raspberry prints?? I agree, more photos please.
Old 08-07-2016, 07:09 AM

It's on the edge and three short seams. I'd rippit.
Old 08-07-2016, 07:27 AM

I salvaged a problem like that by coloring the blocks with Prang fabric crayons and then heat setting the colors.
Old 08-07-2016, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by 117becca View Post
it wouldn't be difficult to take out the pink and replace it w/ the yellow. I do like the yellow better. If you break every 2nd or 3rd stitch, the pieces will "tear" off.
Your work is really pretty. Try using this method 117becca suggested. Frogging has been a lot easier since I took the advice received here. Once you break the stitches on bottom side, the top thread will just pull out. (or vice versa)

But honestly, I rather like the pinkish blocks. They relate in a way to the orangy/pinkish blocks (circle print).

Last edited by GailG; 08-07-2016 at 07:41 AM.
Old 08-07-2016, 07:37 AM

Given their location, I think it would be quicker and easier to rip and replace as TheresaA described than to applique over them. The results will look better, too.

For the blocks that aren't assembled, definitely remove the pink and replace it.

If you do decide to use applique or fusible, I would distribute those blocks throughout the quilt so that they form a sub-pattern. Since half the blocks are done, alternating appliqued and "proper" blocks will make the fix part of the pattern. I would still strongly recommend replacing rather than applique, though.
Old 08-07-2016, 07:39 AM

I agree with the others. Pink is quite lovely, but the yellow is really eye-catching. I don't think there's really any easy way to make applique work -- especially by machine. Part of the issue is that you would have 4 applique pieces all together in one spot, so it will draw quite a bit of attention unless you plan to quilt very heavily (0.5-0.75" spacing). Lisa is right that likely the yellow with nothing behind it will read differently than the yellow with pink behind it, so you'd have to take that and the added thickness into account when doing your overall layout to try to spread them out. This is especially true because the yellow is so bright, it becomes the focal point of each block.

Perhaps instead of trying to cover over it with the yellow fabric, you could add some embroidery or applique butterflies or something that would cover most of the pink, but would look more intentional. For example, if you put a featherweight stabilizer on the applique fabric, fused that to the pink squares & machine appliqued it to them, that would mostly cover up the pink, but still look intentional. You'd just have to spread them out when laying out your blocks for the quilt top. I'm not really sure that would save you any time, but it's an option if you seriously hate seam ripping & would rather sew something else on.
Old 08-07-2016, 07:53 AM

Personally, I like the pink. You do not, it's your quilt and your choice. If you are set on changing the pink to the yellow, I think the only way to go is to remove all the pink and change to the yellow, if that is your final choice. Any other solution would look like you changed your mind half way through and to my obsessive nature, that wouldn't do. What are your plans for the quilt? Everyone is very supportive and I would love to see your final decision. Good luck.
Sue
Old 08-07-2016, 08:07 AM
Power Poster

I know me and I'd would make new blocks and not stress about it. Deciding to do something different is part of the creative process
Old 08-07-2016, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
​The original squares look fine in the closeup but I need a larger veiw to see how they work at a distance.
I agree, but if you hate them, ripthem out or you will really hate them if you use any of the steam a seam ideas
Old 08-07-2016, 08:14 AM
Power Poster

I would unsew and replace rather than do the other methods suggested.