View Single Post
Old 08-07-2016, 09:07 AM
mac

To Peckish and Cashsmom:
I think it is a generational thing. I was brought up in the 50's and back then it was the 'woman's thing' to do all she could to stay within budget. It was rare that the woman worked outside of the home if she had kids and so she had to make ends meet with just one household income and it was even worse if she was a single mom. But, at least single mom's were a little more independent. It was the husband who made the 'little woman' tow the line and keep costs down. There were no credit cards, so to speak, to spend more than you had. If you didn't have it, you didn't spend it. The little woman budgeted her money, was always looking for a bargain and if she needed a new dress or hat, she had to save her pennies for months before she could feel that she deserved it and wasn't taking food out of her children's mouth and even then she would only buy it if it was on sale.

Also, in my family the men always came first. My father worked in the steel mill and he, like so many others, worked really hard for their money. I remember one time that my mother took me aside and said to me that there were only two meatballs to serve with the spaghetti that night for dinner. She said that they were for my father and brother. The men had to work so they got the meat for strength.

It is a mindset like this that happened in the 50's where a lot of women got their "I don't deserve" attitude. In a way we were brought up as martyrs and it is a hard mindset to change. Thank goodness that women started burning their bras in the 60's and started elevating their positions in life or at least they started thinking that they were equals.

Of course, this is just my humble opinion on what happened...