Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting is Expensive! >

Quilting is Expensive!

Quilting is Expensive!

Old 08-04-2016, 10:44 AM

Default Quilting is Expensive!

Like many of you, I'm sure, I am amazed by the prices that I see on notions and thread and fabric. Yesterday, I was at a quilting site looking for fabric and I saw something that I liked. Then I saw the price on it--$59 a yard. I was stunned! Who would pay that price? I bought a stiletto for $10.00 a couple of weeks ago, but I used a coupon. It was nothing more than a stick with two pointed ends. I see a lot of overpriced items when I shop for notions. It's unreasonable.

What is the most you've ever spent for a yard of fabric? Back in the 70's, we used to hit the remnants counter and find amazing deals. I'd spend my babysitting money to make a shirt or a skirt or a dress; that's how affordable it was then. I can't be the only person that thinks some of these prices are ridiculous. It used to be that people sewed to save money. Now you have to mortgage your house to shop at a fabric store.
Old 08-04-2016, 11:00 AM
Power Poster

​I don't know your location but fabric is fairly pricey in Canada although I have not seen any quilting cotton at that outrageous level.
Old 08-04-2016, 11:02 AM
Power Poster

Where are you located?
Old 08-04-2016, 11:02 AM

*** Yes, they are ridiculous, but visit Harbor Freight.
*** They have some of the same as JAF items but just with different names.
*** Magnetic Pin bowls ($2.99 JAF's is $10.99), Cutter Blades, T-Squares, Rulers, etc.
Old 08-04-2016, 11:10 AM

It can be expensive, that's for sure! Those of us on small sewing/quilting budget get around that by shopping for fabrics at Good Will stores, thrift shops or re-purposing fabric. I shop sales online of 30% off or more and have gotten some beautiful fabrics. My quilt shop has an area for reduced prices which I always visit, another has a remnant shop out back which I go through when I'm there. I get newsletters from a bunch of online stores with reasonable prices, so I'll always know when they're having sales. You can get deals if you need to!! I used to buy corduroy for $1.00 a yard to make pants for my kids! You won't find that any more either! :-) Sometimes I miss it too, but the new fabrics are wonderful with beautiful prints!
Old 08-04-2016, 11:14 AM

Yes it can be expensive but I don't go for anything fancy so I'm usually ok with prices. Thankfully, there is a lot of fabric out there for reasonable prices. Also, if you're ok with fabric that isn't from this year, there are places that sell it at better prices. I'm lucky to have a shop within an hour from me that sells fabric for $3.99 just because it's not the latest and greatest. I also try to keep in mind that we're making useful items that some will treasure always.
Old 08-04-2016, 11:21 AM

Don't get me wrong, I love the products--just don't love some of the prices. I am in New Hampshire, and oddly enough, the online store that I saw that price was a store out of New Hampshire. Not all of their prices were like that, but in my opinion, no fabric is worth that much. I love both new and vintage fabrics. In fact, I still have a several pieces from the 70's in my stash. I do most of my shopping at Joann's and try to use coupons and keep my eye open for sales. I haven't re-purposed fabrics before, but I am not opposed to it. When you consider how much money goes into a quilt, between the batting and thread and fabric, not to mention the notions you use, it can really add up fast. This is an expensive hobby!
Old 08-04-2016, 11:25 AM

I am a frugal shopper using many of the ideas already posted, I do not think I have ever paid more then $10 a yard for any fabric, including my wedding dress fabric.
Old 08-04-2016, 11:57 AM
Power Poster

I have a stash but I buy fabric when it is on sale on eBay and my favorite online store the Fabric Shack. I don't buy any notions unless I need one. I bought a stiletto decades ago and hardly have ever used it.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:29 PM

You could use something like this from Harbor Freight for a stiletto.

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece...set-42159.html

Here's how to make some stilettos from turkey lacers:

http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2012/...stilettos.html

Last edited by osewme; 08-04-2016 at 12:34 PM.