Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting is Expensive! >

Quilting is Expensive!

Quilting is Expensive!

Old 08-17-2016, 03:02 PM
yel

I have a piece of fabric that cost $150. a yard but someone brought it to me wanted a bag and said i could keep the rest but it is uph. fabric ...lucked out enough for a bag for me as well
Old 08-18-2016, 07:15 AM
Power Poster

what is "uph." ??
Old 08-18-2016, 07:16 AM

Upholstery?
Old 08-18-2016, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
what is "uph." ??
I was wondering too....
Old 08-19-2016, 01:15 AM
Jim

Thankfully my wife and I are equals....married 42 years and have always decided on big purchases together, we both quilt and buy what we like. I bought some nice fabric that was $14.99 a yard but, had 50% off coupons. I kept going back using coupons until I had 3 yards of each of the 8 fabrics in the collection. We never pay full price but, would if it was something we needed or wanted badly enough. Lately she has bought far more fabric than I have but it doesn't matter, she likes it and will use it as she sees fit , when she sees fit.

We also buy lots of backing from BacksideFabrics.com as we have never gotten anything but NICE fabric from them...Lots of times we find a 108 inch width piece for as little as $10.90 a yard...so we buy 1 and 1/6 yards and get 3 full yards of fabric for less than $13. It's nice to be able to enjoy a hobby together that we both love and spending time together as well. Together we probably have far more fabric than we will ever use in our lives.
Old 08-19-2016, 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
I'm amazed that people even take their husband's along to buy a sewing machine. I never do that! I want to browse and try the machine and ask questions. I don't want to have to deal with someone else being bored or trying to influence my decision. He doesn't worry about money as much as I do but he does think he knows more than he does about stuff. So I buy machines on my own. I even bought my last car on my own. I really didn't even need him there but it was only the second new car I'd ever bought so I wanted some moral support. I think he said one thing during the whole process! I'd already gotten them to knock $10,000 off the car so there wasn't much to do there!

It was Older couple who probably never leave each others' side and even grocery shop together. She probably never worked outside of the house and he holds the checkbook. I don't live in their reality. And he wanted her to have the best! But I never thought for one minute that they weren't happy being together! They were a team!

I have always purchased my own cars..as a single and now a married. my DH won't even go with me to look at cars! I drive my purchase home and he is fine with it. We do talk about certain models etc prior to me going shopping thanks to the internet and Edmonds. Neither one of us go overboard on purchases....no Porsche for me! Dangit!

sandy