View Single Post
Old 08-12-2016, 09:51 AM
ShirlR

Default Frozen Singer 404

I purchased a Singer 404 straight stitch at a thrift store; it was frozen at the time, but I have read that this can be resolved; apparently the donor had not used it for years. I purchased some Tri Flow and put it in the various oil holes. The wheel will now turn a little but the needle remains stationary. I called my local dealer where I purchased my Pfaff QE 4.0 and my Babylock Ellegante and they want around $189 for an "overhaul". I am not mechanically-blessed, so I'm wondering if anyone knows of a person in the Salem, OR area who might tinker with these beautiful vintage machines; it seems the dealers in modern machines want the same price for oiling, etc., vintage machines as they do for the fixing the complexities of the computerized machines - no exceptions. The outside of this machine has not a scratch on it, and everything is there - the cord and original foot feed, except the bobbin itself. Would appreciate your advice on what to do. I looked at Craig's List for a repair service and all I got were the listings for the major dealers around here. Thanks!