Frozen Singer 404

Old 08-15-2016, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
I don't know what you read that would say Tri Flow is the same as 3in1 oil, but that is just so wrong. The only place I don't use it is any place that has a wick.

Cari
I have a few machines with a wick. What is the reason you do not use Tri Flow in a wick area? I have been using it on all my machines, but in all I have not read about that specific point. I am eager to learn any useful tips to improve my maintenance procedures. Thanks.

Cathy
Old 08-15-2016, 06:04 AM

There's so much daft info on lubricants, not helped by the ingredients the makers rather keep a secret. You can actually buy this stuff, and it's a pure mineral oil much like s*wing m*chine oil LOL

Last edited by Mickey2; 08-15-2016 at 06:08 AM.
Old 08-15-2016, 01:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cjcathyj View Post
I have a few machines with a wick. What is the reason you do not use Tri Flow in a wick area? I have been using it on all my machines, but in all I have not read about that specific point. I am eager to learn any useful tips to improve my maintenance procedures. Thanks.

Cathy
It's just a matter of personal preference for me. Other people use it in wicking areas with(so far) no problems. Ever since Tri Flow came on the sewing machine scene years ago, the one area of controversy has been whether or not the teflon can possibly prevent the oil from wicking like it's supposed to. No one has been able to prove or disprove it. So I don't use it in an oil hole that has a wick. I'll skip past the wick and oil the intended spot directly, and since I only use Tri Fow for initial oilings after a cleaning, I still get the benefit of the teflon without the possible years down the road issue that may or may not happen. Just my personal preference.

Cari
Old 08-15-2016, 05:41 PM

Cari,
Thanks so much for the explanation. It had crossed my mind about oiling directly, but I have never tried that way. I will need to examine my machines more closely and maybe try it your way.
Cathy
Old 08-16-2016, 01:08 PM

A general rule of thumb to unfreeze a sewing machine is to find a spot where the mechanism moves and follow it to where it doesn't move. Then apply oil, maybe a little pressure, maybe some heat from a hair dryer. Eventually, you'll get everything moving again.

I'm in the "I use Tri-flow" camp. One person, somewhere, wrote that you shouldn't use it on sewing machines, versus all the people who use it and love it. Of course, your mileage may vary.

Tate
Old 08-16-2016, 01:26 PM

I love old machines. I have 33. I usually clean and oil generously everywhere. Have you taken the faceplate off and let oil run down the needle holder bar and the bar that holds the feet? I can't even call their proper names now. [ Been in the hospital with a dead gall bladder]. Clean everywhere. Joe tells everyone to oil anything that moves. Grin