View Single Post
Old 08-25-2016, 08:08 PM
quiltingshorttimer

I bought the Silhouette Cameo basically to cut non-fabric and to use with creating applique. I have had it for about 18 months and used a number of times, but frankly use it more often for non-fabric purposes (admittedly I don't do a lot of applique!). Last Thanksgiving, when Accuquilt was having a significant sale on their machines, I bought my own Christmas present and got a GoBig--the electric one. My shoulder thanks me everytime I cut out a quilt. While I still use my rulers and rotary cutter for trimming,single cuts, etc. I find the few dies I have do a great job in giving me lots of options--I bought the strip bundle with the machine (plus you get a FG die with your machine purchase), with the strip bundle you can do strips, squares, rectangles, diamonds, bias binding. I also purchased the log cabin "block on board" (complete block), 2 sizes of triangles in squares (like you cut with Tri Recs rulers), and a half square rectangle. I plan to purchase a drunkard's path, just trying to decide size. Also want a Cube (bundle of several dies that all make specific size of block--6" or 9" or 12"--can't decide on which size to buy.
I don't really understand the concern about fabric waste--I don't find that I have any more waste than when I use the rulers and have to keep squaring up the yardage. If you watch the videos on the Accuquilt website they show you how to lay the fabric out so there is minimal waste. I'm going to try OnebyOne's idea on dies. I find the Go Big is well worth the cost for me-due to my shoulder issues, the quickness, the accuracy and ease of use. definitely check their website.