Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the difference? >

What is the difference?

What is the difference?

Old 08-27-2016, 05:19 AM
Power Poster

My Go was getting harder to crank and was making a noise. DH took the rollers out (very easy to do) and replaced the bearings. There are four bearing. Cost about $8. The Go turns like butter with six layers. DH was impressed with the quality of the Go, all inside parts are metal. I ordered the Go Big while he was working on the Go. I had my doubts. LOL It took him about an hour to have the Go good as new after buying the bearings.
Old 08-27-2016, 05:19 AM
Power Poster

Just not in my budget and I don't do enough to warrant it for a budget.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:34 AM

I have a Sizzix Big Shot. I only use it to cut scrappy squares for the Bonnie Hunter Scrap User System. I do not like to applique, plus my arthritic fingers hurt with hand work. So, this is the only thing I use my cutter for. You should look at the dies, and decide exactly what you want to do with the cutter before you buy it.

I think if I was into applique, I would really love it.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by janjanq View Post
I'm considering buying a Scan 2 Cut. No templates to buy and several designs built in to the machine. Can only cut through only one layer of fabric at a time but looks like it has a larger cutting surface. Looks like you can, for example, cut 8 or 9 2 1/2 inch squares at once. I believe the machine even marks the seam allowance. I've never seen a demo for one in person, only a video on Utube. Anyone on this board use one for quilting? Would you recommend?
think you need to seriously consider what you might use the cutter for: if you want multiple cuts of same (or in case of Accuquilt a whole block) shape, then a die cutter is what you want. If you want to either use downloadable shapes or design your own, then a Scan & Cut or Silhouette is the way to go--but you will be limited to just one lay at a time.

Applique can be done with either type, although you would not be able to do multiple cuts at same time with the programable cutter. Both are significant cost so do consider carefully!
Old 09-15-2017, 10:33 AM

That is a great question - one I have wondered about. I do not have one and doubt if I'll ever get one. Maybe you could talk to people in different shops and find out why they carry a particular brand.
Old 09-15-2017, 03:44 PM
Power Poster

You are in the same position I was in just a short time ago. Couldn't decide/thought the prices were ridiculous etc. Well I finally bought the Accuquilt Go and LOVE it!
Mine is the hand crank which for me is no big deal. It was a lot cheaper than the electric but if I needed it I would have bought it.
I don't know why people say there is a lot of wasted fabric- there isn't !!! Very little, in fact.
What I love most about it is the precision when piecing- the blocks are the perfect cut.
I'm telling my husband and kids to get me gift cards for dies when they feel like buying me something (the dies are expensive but worth it, I now see)
Oh and it's so much fun to use!!! Just push it through and voila! Nice strips and blocks.
I'm really happy I bought it.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:39 PM

I had the Go but it aggravated my back, etc. So I didn't use it very often but had 24 dies. Sold the crank one to a friend and bought the electric Go Big. I'm looking forward to more piecing. Using the regular rulers limits my cutting due to physical activity and I can still be involved in quilting.