View Single Post
Old 08-30-2016, 03:11 AM
Mickey2

I couldn't get any where with the link either (just the general start page). As Penny describes, it has round bobbins. Model 66 was the first machine with a horizontal drop-in bobbin system, "latest and greatest" at the time. 10 years later they introduced model 99 wich is a 3/4 size version of it. Ever since, this bobbin type has been called class 66 and used in many models; modern machines use a plastic version of it called Apollo. The are practically intechangeable for any metal bobbin case and a few models with plastic cases. I have a few plastic bobbins for my 99 and my 201, they work fine, but I tend to stock up on the metal version.

There's at least two types of bobbin winders for class 66 machines; one with a "forked finger" guiding the thread back and forth as it winds. The finger thread guide part, has a cam like action in the back not visible in photos (chromed part behind the circular cog). The later winder doesn't have this moving thread guide but a thread guide at the base of the machine in stead, and the thread sort of guides it self. I have the earlier type on my 99, and it winds just as even and nice as the later)

Eearly winder on a model 99

Later model 66, with the camless winder, and with a lever in stead of a turn knob for adjusting stitch length.

Last edited by Mickey2; 08-30-2016 at 03:20 AM.