View Single Post
Old 09-08-2016, 06:58 PM
oksewglad
Power Poster

Wow...quilt mouse...I'm impressed...such organIzation...you are an inspiration.

I made my first quilt for my daughter in the early 70's...red and yellow gingham paired with primary colored calicos in a brick setting...backed in the yellow gingham...60" wide...and tied because I used an old blanket as batting..I gave it to her daughter a couple of years ago...next quilt was a flannel 4 patch crib quilt mostly in blues I made for our son...used old Pj's along with new fabric...he wore it out..when I did have time to quilt I used mostly denim for utilitarian quilts. In the early 80's I started going to craft shows with applique sweatshirts...I made them, too...and applique table toppers..that's when my stash started...after I dropped the craft shows I had fabric so began making some scrap quilts...never letting fabric go to waste...then I started getting serious about quilting and buying fabric, especially fabric I liked...I think you get the drift..love paisleys...now I have many UFO'S that I want to finish and at the same time sew something new.

I love making miniatures, but seldom use yardage and build from my scrap bins...yes I have a basket of 3/4" strips sorted in little zip locks by color..love to make LC blocks from these...and because guild friends know I use the small pieces I get lots of scraps...and I cut down my trimmings to the largest size as I go... I often repay the givers with a little quilt as they will never try to work so small...needless to say the twosies and threesies are waiting to be used...

I, too, hope to reduce by sewing although not as organized as you I have several ongoing projects...got 2 done this summer and a third waiting to be quilted on my sewing machine...I have acquired some of those 70, 80 and 90's fabrics from my use as well as what others have given...someday these will treasured similar to the vintage fabrics of the 30, 40, and 50's and keep them together...in the meantime I have to limit computer use as it's a time suck...

Thanks for enlightening me with your projects...