Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Clean up your stash! >

Clean up your stash!

Clean up your stash!

Old 08-18-2016, 05:42 AM

Default Clean up your stash!

I'm cleaning up my stash for the move in two weeks. Yesterday I discovered , in a cabinet, about 25 backs for quilts and about 30 UFO's in another cabinet. I absolutely had no idea there were that many. My DH helped me pack and he said I had really packed my room solid, he couldn't believe what was in that small room. I actually feel overwhelmed now, I wonder what I will do with all these quilts when I finish with them. About 25 of the 30 UFO's are vintage quilts or blocks I have bought at flea markets or a yard sale, all in wonderful condition. I have given so much fabric away and I found even more to get rid of last night. I don't like having all this fabric and projects, it's just too much. I've always been very orderly in my life and this is disorder to me. I'm in full rebellion now and I will make sure when we move that all my fabric and projects will be in the open and not stored away where I can't see it. Ladies and Men, start your engines and clean up your stash !
Old 08-18-2016, 05:55 AM
Power Poster

Going through the same thing. Thought I was getting ahead and found 2 bags (large storage vac bags) in a suitcase hubby pulled out of the attic. He was going to donate it (the suitcase) and realized it was heavy. His eyes rolled when he opened it. When he opened it, it also exploded. Evidently the zipper from the suitcase ripped the top bag. Laughed . Poor Brutus barked and ran to his kennel! I laughed more.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-29-2016 at 03:03 AM. Reason: language
Old 08-18-2016, 05:59 AM
Power Poster

A little bit here - a little bit there - some over there - it can be sort of "Oh. My. Goodness." when it is all in one spot.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:36 AM
Power Poster

I do it within my comfort level. Most of my UFOs are waiting on getting quilted. Most of them are headed for summer camp next year for foster kids.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:39 AM

a few months ago our guild had a speaker (can not remember her name for the life of me) on organizing your work area and UFO's. One question she asked us was why is it a UFO? Lost interest, need fabric to finish, She said to finish what we can and want to, the rest pass it on. Just because it started out to be a queen size, and you only have a few blocks done, change direction is fine, make a throw, baby quilt, table runner. I looked at my UFO's with different eyes, In one evening I lost 1/3 of my UFO's decided to pass them on to my guild to finish as comfort quilts. Another 1/3 were reworked into smaller quilts, the rest needed quilting which I have set aside 2 hr. per week to finish. only have 3 left to quilt. I also make myself do binding and label before I load the next one on the LA She also told us her stash s very small, mainly neutrals, She said her taste in colors changed with every project.
Old 08-18-2016, 10:50 AM

I am working on my stash too, but I have bought to fill in and finish... at least it is not $300 at a time.
Old 08-18-2016, 10:53 AM
Power Poster

I am working from my stash and am glad to have it. I do buy for backing and I am working to finish my UFO's.
Old 08-19-2016, 04:32 AM

Thanks for putting my attitude into words. I too, am in the State of Full Rebellion.

Marcia
Old 08-19-2016, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
Thanks for putting my attitude into words. I too, am in the State of Full Rebellion.

Marcia
I just looked at your name:Battleax, Yoo-hoo, I love it.
Old 08-19-2016, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
Going through the same thing. Thought I was getting ahead and found 2 bags (large storage vac bags) in a suitcase hubby pulled out of the attic. He was going to donate it (the suitcase) and realized it was heavy. His eyes rolled when he opened it. When he opened it, it also exploded. Evidently the zipper from the suitcase ripped the top bag. Laughed. Poor Brutus barked and ran to his kennel! I laughed more.
What a great story! Thanks for laugh. I have given some away and it feels great however with that in mind I need to quit buying too!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-29-2016 at 03:05 AM. Reason: to match edit of quoted post