Old 09-11-2016, 12:46 PM
linda8450

Default Our "Opportunity" quilt experiences.

Our guild has had good success over the years, but last year we made more money that ever before!

I arranged for the quilt to be displayed in the Mall in town, they have a "community spotlight" (read empty store) window that allows non-profit organizations to display for one month. Had some rules about times for putting up and taking down the display but easy enough to work out.

I made posters with "Opportunity" quilt info, guild info, and the quilt show where it would be displayed info. We got lots of interest and even a few new guild members!

I had postcards made so LQS could hand them out, members could carry them to show quilt, I persuaded the local Singer sewing center and Hancock's to let us put up a poster and leave postcards! (before they closed).

We had in hanging in 2 LQS for a month and they sold quite a few tickets.

This year it will be in 3 different shops (the mall window is no longer available). We offered a separate ticket for a separate drawing for a second quilt made from leftover squares to anyone making a square, helping to quilt, making a label, etc. There were 52 participants, and multiple squares from some, and that earned more tickets for them!

We make it clear that proceeds go to local charities. We vote every year, usually Food Bank, House of Ruth, Chrysalis house (teens in trouble) or Wiregrass Hope (pregnant moms that need assistance).

The quilt is finished in July, displayed Aug and Sept in 2 shops, goes to our local shop in Oct (owner is in charge of the quilt show held mid-Oct. and it gets transported back and forth by her) and then to another shop for Nov and first week of Dec (that shop has a sale and it gets great exposure). We do the drawing at our Christmas Party.

We made over $2500 after paying for fabric, batting and quilting.

This year is civil war colors, and every square is some kind of star with and one constant color and the same background color in each. A huge feather star in the center on point! It is Hand quilted and 92"x 92", it is doing well so far!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]558052[/ATTACH]

We also offer a "basket of goodies" to the person selling the most tickets. Every little incentive helps.

I will say the year we did a pink and white quilt dedicated to breast cancer, our salesg were miserable. Although the quilt was beautiful, no one wanted to win it! Too much pink? Not wanting a reminder? but either way sales weren't great.

Good luck, hope your guild makes lots of money!
Attached Thumbnails opportunity-quilt-2016.jpg  

Last edited by linda8450; 09-11-2016 at 12:57 PM.