Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Any ideas to increase quilt raffle ticket sales? >

Any ideas to increase quilt raffle ticket sales?

Any ideas to increase quilt raffle ticket sales?

Old 09-09-2016, 05:02 AM

Default Any ideas to increase quilt raffle ticket sales?

Hi everybody,
One of my quilt guilds is looking for ideas to sell more tickets for their annual raffle quilt. I wondered about offering an incentive for the person who sells the most. I'm interested in any ideas!
Thanks,
lots2do
Old 09-09-2016, 05:11 AM

Often, people are members of more than one guild. Our groups in the Carolinas are always happy to see others' raffles. Spread the word that way.

Go to area quilt shops, and offer them an additional discount (so they can resale) if they buy a bundle.
Have a booth at any other area craft shows/flea markets/farmers markets.

As far as individual incentives, if the quilt will be raffled at a show, ask the show vendors if they will donate some goodies for 1st, 2nd, 3rd place ticket seller (fat quarters, charm pack, small pattern, etc). Then give credit to them as "sponsors".
Old 09-09-2016, 06:03 AM
Power Poster

I don't mind buying a ticket for a raffle quilt but I detest selling them. I will buy a book of tickets from my guild and put my name on all of them but I won't sell any. They don't care, money is money. The guild has good sales at the opening day of the Farmer's Market and at community events. Usually a booth fee has to be paid so it takes money to make money and lots of volunteer time.
Old 09-09-2016, 06:18 AM

Yes...the challenge could be the members who are uncomfortable approaching people to buy tickets. I, too, buy a set of tickets just to be off the hook for them. I am not shy but my TIME is limited. Perhaps suggest to members ti approach all of the mothers who are not shy about selling Girl Scout cookies on behalf of their kids ...payback time! Lol!

sandy
Old 09-09-2016, 06:31 AM
Power Poster

Take a good, high quality picture of the quilt with close ups and post on social media, like Facebook with information on how to get tickets. Ask members to "share" the post on their FB page.

When I did the raffle quilts for our motorcycle club, all members were asked to sell tickets. The quilt was also prominently displayed at any events we held or the dealership held and there was a table set up for ticket sales. We sold tickets for approximately 5 months.

One member had a sneaky but effective way of doing it. He would approach people and say "do you have a dollar", usually someone would whip one out to give him thinking he needed a dollar and was short. As soon as they presented the dollar he would hand them a raffle ticket. Most people took it well and the few that got mad he would take the ticket back but few got that mad and most laughed at his ingenuous albeit sneaky tactic.
Old 09-09-2016, 06:35 AM

I notice with our quilt guild it makes a difference if they like and want the quilt. So, make something people would want to display in their homes. And also, the amount of advertising the show gets and how many people see the quilt. Good luck.
Old 09-09-2016, 07:23 AM
Power Poster

My guild requires everyone to take a certain number of tickets. Previous guilds I belonged to didn't require this, and as a result most of us didn't do anything to help with ticket sales, so I do support this requirement. I do as Onebyone and Sandygirl and purchase them myself. I figure it's just another donation to the guild, and I might even win the quilt (although I don't know why I would need another quilt!)
Old 09-09-2016, 07:30 AM

My guild is having the same issue. This year new ideas are enter it in a guilt show either to be judged or just as a participate. Ask if you can mention on the card that this is a raffle quilt and list a contact number.
Other years we have put pictures in 2-3 local newspapers. Also sold tickets at LQS during shop hop.(sold $250 last year).
Our members will take it to quilt retreats.
I have checked into renting space in craft shows but many do not want "raffle " items. You maybe able to find a smaller show hast will accept the quilt. I also check with several store to see if we could be outside and sell tickets but struck out there also. You may have a local mom/pop store that will let you sell tickets.

I am going to check with other LQS to see if I can put a picture of the quilt and a flyer in the store. Not sure if will get good response but worth a try.

Also if a member works in a LQS she may be able to show quilt and sell ticket there.

Last year we had a selling contest but it did not seem to make much difference. But the prize was not very good- just charm squares. No contest this year

Also we give out tickets 4-5 mo ahead and that seems too long a time frame to sell tickets. Members often wait to the last minute to sell tickets.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-09-2016, 08:16 AM
Power Poster

It really helps if you have members that are willing to take it around to different venues and set it up on display to sell tickets. Any and all indoor events in your area you seek permission to set up. If is a pain in the butt but if the general public can see it , it generates ticket sales.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:41 AM

I forgot to mention another thing that often happens here in the Carolinas... often, when one guild is having an "early in the year" show, other guilds will also hang their raffle quilt in the vendor area, and sell tickets that way. It is not uncommon to be in a March or April show and see raffle quilts to be selected at a show in August.