Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Any ideas to increase quilt raffle ticket sales? >

Any ideas to increase quilt raffle ticket sales?

Any ideas to increase quilt raffle ticket sales?

Old 09-09-2016, 10:36 AM
Power Poster

I would second the idea of a contest, like we used to have in school. The person selling the most raffle tickets wins a prize, like a couple fat quarters, a yard of fabric etc. Often it's not about the prize, but bragging rights.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:26 AM

I'm not sure if you guild does events to hang their raffle quilt at different venues to show it off and sell tickets. Mine does. It is Marys River Quilt Guild, and the raffle quilt is a yearly fund raiser. Some of the local quilt shops hang the quilt and they sell the tickets for us (they don't sell many). We also are at the Sisters Quilt show in the Sisters Pharmacy and sell a lot of tickets (members volunteer for 2 hour shifts for 2 days). We are also at the County fair, and sell tickets with the quilt on display, again members need to volunteer for 2 hour shifts. Every other summer, we have Quilts in the Garden (another fund raiser) and we sell lots of tickets. We usually make over $2K, it provides our "rent" money where out guild meets. We have a website and out raffle quilts are very popular.

* We also give chances for those who sell the most tickets, and those that volunteer to sell tickets, we make a small quilt that mimics the raffle quilt and someone wins that quilt.

Last edited by Bjbaxter; 09-09-2016 at 11:28 AM. Reason: More info
Old 09-09-2016, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by letawellman View Post
I forgot to mention another thing that often happens here in the Carolinas... often, when one guild is having an "early in the year" show, other guilds will also hang their raffle quilt in the vendor area, and sell tickets that way. It is not uncommon to be in a March or April show and see raffle quilts to be selected at a show in August.
My guild's raffle quilt is ready each December, and we start selling tickets at different venues in January, and the drawing is in October.
Old 09-09-2016, 01:33 PM
yel

one of the church groups take there quilt and sit in front of the grocery store on fridays .....
i made a quilt it wasn't even queen size made a good bit of money for the fire dept. i had the kids in town color places in town ...went over very well
Old 09-09-2016, 01:56 PM

Our guild raffle is for charity so one way I approached selling tickets was
"May I offer you the opportunity to support two really great charities and maybe win yourself a quilt?"
Old 09-09-2016, 05:05 PM

My guild always completes the raffle quilt at least 6 months before the show and arranges for it to be displayed at local quilt shops and other quilt shows/community events to sell tickets. Lots of exposure usually means more ticket sales. Guild members have motivation to help sell tickets as the profit from the show (including the raffle) pays for speakers at our meetings. Higher profits from the show = better national teachers. They also started making a smaller version of the raffle quilt and that is drawn from all the quilt show volunteers and awarded to a guild member. You could award a chance in the raffle for every 20 or 50 tickets sold (we sell for $1 each or 6 for $5).
Old 09-09-2016, 10:12 PM
Power Poster

Our guild quilt travels to other guild meetings and quilt shows. Each member is also required to sell $10 of tickets (or buy them if we don't want to pass them on). There is a small opportunity quilt reward for the guild member who sells the most tickets.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:17 PM

Depending on where you live. The State Gambling Commission may have rules regarding raffles and what you can and cannot do. Here, we can't offer tickets 6/$5, if ticket price is $1. Depending on your status as a non profit, it may be that only members can sell tickets. Some raffles can be in-house only, meaning sales of tickets to members only. There are so many rules! A google search for your state gambling commission can tell you a lot.
Old 09-10-2016, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by sewingitalltogether View Post
I notice with our quilt guild it makes a difference if they like and want the quilt. So, make something people would want to display in their homes. And also, the amount of advertising the show gets and how many people see the quilt. Good luck.

Applique, applique, applique and it doesn't seem to matter if it is by hand or machine. This one (when finished) brought in $1500 in 9 months in spite of the fact that the organizer insisted on $10 each tickets!
Attached Thumbnails high-fiber-062.jpg  
Old 09-10-2016, 04:00 AM

This is the problem we ran into by calling it a raffle. I gifted three quilts to a non-profit organization. They had to buy some kind of a permit. And a few months later our chairman was notified that they owed sales tax on the proceeds. That cuts down on the profits of a gift of a quilt to the organization. I gifted another quilt to a different organization and they called it a drawing.