Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Any ideas to increase quilt raffle ticket sales? >

Any ideas to increase quilt raffle ticket sales?

Any ideas to increase quilt raffle ticket sales?

Old 09-10-2016, 11:26 AM

Thanks again for your ideas!
My old guild also raffled a donated (new) sewing machine. It appealed to the members who thought of an extra machine for a grandchild to use or a traveling machine for classes etc.
Old 09-10-2016, 11:00 PM

I have never been involved in the selling of raffle tickets for quilts, but I have bought a fair number over the years.

- Locally independent quilt shops will sell raffle tickets, for quilt raffles within about a 60 mile radius.
- Most guilds will sell tickets at other guilds, shows
- If I see a raffle quilt on display I am much more likely to purchase a ticket.
- A few years ago a quilt was made as a fundraiser for a local sports team. I think soccer, anyways, one of the team members had a link to a popular restaurant and they were able to display the quilt there. Lots of tickets were sold that way.
- If there is a Farmer's Market in town, have a booth and sell tickets there, or ask if you can display the quilt in someone else's booth and sell tickets.
- Local theatres will sometimes let you sell tickets, if they perceive it to be for a good cause.
- If the quilt has a sports theme or would suit boys to men, see about displaying it and selling tickets at amateur sporting events.
- Can you sell tickets at local churches?
Old 09-11-2016, 05:28 AM

One quilt guild near me put their quilt up in a well known quilt store and sold tickets by the door. You had to see it as you walked in and left and I think their sales were quite high. I would find a store that allows you to let people see the quilt, they will buy the tickets if it's pretty.
Old 09-11-2016, 12:46 PM

Default Our "Opportunity" quilt experiences.

Our guild has had good success over the years, but last year we made more money that ever before!

I arranged for the quilt to be displayed in the Mall in town, they have a "community spotlight" (read empty store) window that allows non-profit organizations to display for one month. Had some rules about times for putting up and taking down the display but easy enough to work out.

I made posters with "Opportunity" quilt info, guild info, and the quilt show where it would be displayed info. We got lots of interest and even a few new guild members!

I had postcards made so LQS could hand them out, members could carry them to show quilt, I persuaded the local Singer sewing center and Hancock's to let us put up a poster and leave postcards! (before they closed).

We had in hanging in 2 LQS for a month and they sold quite a few tickets.

This year it will be in 3 different shops (the mall window is no longer available). We offered a separate ticket for a separate drawing for a second quilt made from leftover squares to anyone making a square, helping to quilt, making a label, etc. There were 52 participants, and multiple squares from some, and that earned more tickets for them!

We make it clear that proceeds go to local charities. We vote every year, usually Food Bank, House of Ruth, Chrysalis house (teens in trouble) or Wiregrass Hope (pregnant moms that need assistance).

The quilt is finished in July, displayed Aug and Sept in 2 shops, goes to our local shop in Oct (owner is in charge of the quilt show held mid-Oct. and it gets transported back and forth by her) and then to another shop for Nov and first week of Dec (that shop has a sale and it gets great exposure). We do the drawing at our Christmas Party.

We made over $2500 after paying for fabric, batting and quilting.

This year is civil war colors, and every square is some kind of star with and one constant color and the same background color in each. A huge feather star in the center on point! It is Hand quilted and 92"x 92", it is doing well so far!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]558052[/ATTACH]

We also offer a "basket of goodies" to the person selling the most tickets. Every little incentive helps.

I will say the year we did a pink and white quilt dedicated to breast cancer, our salesg were miserable. Although the quilt was beautiful, no one wanted to win it! Too much pink? Not wanting a reminder? but either way sales weren't great.

Good luck, hope your guild makes lots of money!
Attached Thumbnails opportunity-quilt-2016.jpg  

Last edited by linda8450; 09-11-2016 at 12:57 PM.
Old 09-11-2016, 07:54 PM

We give everyone 10 tickets with a picture of the quilt to show to people. We also give the person who sold the most tickets a nice gift. It goes really for us.
Also, if members want to take it to different events and sell tickets,that helps also.
Good luck!
Mariah
Old 09-12-2016, 06:00 AM

Thanks again. I'll be taking your ideas to my guild soon. And, that is a lovely quilt.
Old 09-17-2016, 07:10 AM

Default Raffle tickets

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I don't mind buying a ticket for a raffle quilt but I detest selling them. I will buy a book of tickets from my guild and put my name on all of them but I won't sell any. They don't care, money is money. The guild has good sales at the opening day of the Farmer's Market and at community events. Usually a booth fee has to be paid so it takes money to make money and lots of volunteer time.
When I belonged to a quilt I would purchase what was given to me to sell and what I didn't sell I enclosed one in birthday and Christmas cards.
Old 09-17-2016, 01:28 PM

part of our Guild membership dues are $10 worth of tickets--which we can put our own name on or sell and pocket the $10--we figure that is fair since the raffle profits go toward programming and workshops. We use pictures, FB and our website, display and sell at community events (i.e. farmers market, local car shows, etc). Our own show is when that years winner is announced--so lots of sales then. One way we encourage members to sell tickets (and produce items for the show boutique and silent auction) is to give free membership renewal to any that sale a total of $125 worth of tickets or boutique/silent auction items. Also we ask the quilt shops if we can display and sell during shop hops, too.

And like several have already said, it needs to be a really stunning, UNIQUE quilt--one that a quilter would want but figure they'd never make for themselves--like a Dear Jane, or a really stunning modern quilt, or one that has very unique hand turned applique, etc. Traditional quilts just don't seem to garner as much sales for us.
Old 09-18-2016, 03:59 PM

I'll be honest - most of the time I don't like the quilts that I see quilt guilds raffling off. If it's a bed size quilt, I already have one on my bed and I don't need another. I might be more interested in a throw size - 50x70

So, does another question need to be asked? Do people like this quilt?
Old 09-19-2016, 05:44 AM
Power Poster

For me, I think I would prefer a portion of my dues be earmarked for a charity and let it go at that.

If/When I think of the time and materials involved in making something, $20 would be a bargain to avoid the fundraising hassle.

Maybe the members could put it up for a vote?

Last edited by bearisgray; 09-19-2016 at 05:46 AM.