Old 09-14-2016, 10:36 AM
Judith1005

Zozee, "If you mess up, chances are you can rip it out ,or turn it into scraps. One tip I read (here?) for making sample blocks is to make them all in one colorway. The lady makes all red/white/blue sample blocks so that she can put them all together in one patriotic quilt if she decides she doesn't want to make a bunch of the ones she didn't enjoy making. Practice with your "8" rated fabrics. I do keep SOME reject fabric to make 20x20 sandwiches for FMQ. (A solid helps you see your stitches, but is not necessary.)

Try not to think of giving what you don't like , but keeping what you love. I learned that from the Japanese organizing guru/best selling author Maria Kondo. It makes deciding so much easier. If it gives you a good feeling, keep it. If you have to justify it, or it brings you down, or you find yourself saying "I might do this or I could do that with it" you will get stuck. Free yourself mentally. When it's gone and you have space to see and breathe and move, you will feel like a new woman. I found that it got easier with each 15-minute session to decide what to keep or not. It's like gaining a new talent! "

This fabulous advise. I love the idea of doing my demo blocks in a certain color line. And, that could continually change as quilts are made.

And, thank you for sharing from the Maria Kondo book. I put that book on my Kindle about a month ago. I'm having the hardest time getting past the first chapter. (Maybe I should skip and move ahead. I can always go back. I'll have to ponder that.)