Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Work in Progress.....feels good to finally get started!

Work in Progress.....feels good to finally get started!

I had my stash stuffed in boxes, drawers, and bags.

This is what I started with and how it is looking so far. Anything 1 yard or more I put in foam boards (found that advice here. Cheap and easy!) And anything less than a yard I folded. That still needs a little work and some decent storage ideas, but overall, I am getting there.

Anything that had odd shapes or whatnot was cut on my Accuquilt into 2" squares, half triangles, or tumblers. Crumbs went into a gallon size bag to give away.

Whew....took a bit of time, but so so worth it!
    Attached Images Attached Images

looks great

Wanna come to my house and play? I've got lots of scraps

I agree, want to come to my house too?? Just make sure there is no direct or indirect sunlight hitting your fabric on the boards. You might want to make a drape over protecting from any type of sunlight. I had some of my favorite repros from the 90s take a hit on the fold.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

You'll feel just amazing when you've got it done and you're able to look and SEE all your beautiful fabrics. Those totes, bins and bags just don't do those fabrics justice as far as displaying them! But, do make sure they're protected from fading. You don't want them to be unusable when you get to them.
    Laughing is, and will always be, the best form of therapy!

When you love and laugh abundantly, you live a beautiful life!

If you're too busy to laugh.....you're too busy!

Very nicely done! I store my "under 1 yard" fabric in lawyer's cabinets. I have filled 3 of them so far.
    I am too blessed to be stressed and too anointed to be disappointed!

I am so proud of you. It is such a wonderful feeling to have that all organized! For me, it was also a wonderful feeling refolding my fabric and going down memory lane a bit. I inherited my Mom's fabric stash too and it was bittersweet to fold fabrics from her quilts and remembering those she sent them too, etc. Kind of funny, there was a piece of fabric (pink and blue flowers) that I think both her and I have used in so many baby quilts.........there's still a fair amount of that fabric left! It makes me laugh to see it....Now those babies we made them for are having babies of their own....that fabric will go down in history! ha! Good job on your organization!

Thanks! I just hope I can continue to keep it that way. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    Kind of funny, there was a piece of fabric (pink and blue flowers) that I think both her and I have used in so many baby quilts.........there's still a fair amount of that fabric left! It makes me laugh to see it....Now those babies we made them for are having babies of their own....that fabric will go down in history! ha! Good job on your organization!
    I'm working on a scrappy quilt right now (none of the materials being used are in the pic....all 38 colors of it!). And some of that material has been used in oodles of things from curtains to Halloween costumes, to quilts. Nice run down memory lane!

Good job!

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158 model 1914/. 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

Power Poster
    ​Well done!

Woohoo! Look at that! Organized and colorful and purged. You've done so well and I applaud you. Isn't it a wonderful feeling??

Blog Entries
    Oh how I wish I could do that to my stash, but I just have so much, I am tired just thinking about how and where to start. Yours looks so beautiful. I sure admire your spunk.....wish I knew where to start.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandrea View Post
    Oh how I wish I could do that to my stash, but I just have so much, I am tired just thinking about how and where to start. Yours looks so beautiful. I sure admire your spunk.....wish I knew where to start.
    Not sure wha t to tell you other than what helped (helps) me when overwhelmed with stuff to purge (not just fabric excess). But let's use fabric stash since it's the topic.

1 . Set the timer for 15 minutes. Much more than you think can be done in just 15. Plus, you have a stopping point if you're not wanting to continue .

2. Choose a drawer, a bin, a shelf to purge. Just one. Not a closet, a dresser, a room. Keep it bite size mentally.

3. Rate your fabric. I decided to give each piece a number rating from 1-10. Fast. Not overthinking it. I only kept it if it was an 8,9, or 10. I know when I'm honest with myself that if I don't like it enough to give it an 8, I won't use it. I just won't. "Someday" means "never".

4. Take your giveaway bag to your car, and drop it off to wherever you can donate it quickly. Let others take over the decision of where to donate it. You can give away stuff on this board ot hold contests, or offer it for sale, but that takes time. If you want to see real headway immediately, just get it out of the house.

5. Don't be manipulated by guilt--yours or anyone else's. Think of the end goal: only having to store, handle, use, and admire what brings you joy.

Having said that, I need to set my timer now do the next thing.
    Last edited by zozee; 08-30-2016 at 12:53 PM.

Looks very organized.
    Carol

Blog Entries
    Thanks zozee for those tips on how to conquer the overwhelming feeling "where to start" Your ideas gave me some encouragement. Good ideas. I tend to look at the whole picture and then give up before I can get started. I liked the idea of setting a timer for 15 or 20 min. I think I could handle that. The only thing that scares me is the part of rating a number and purging the lower numbers because even though I may never use some of the fabrics, I have the feeling that if I want to try something new and not use real good fabrics, I can do a sample with the fabrics I'm not too fond of anymore, just to try something new in case I mess up. What do I do about that? I have trouble parting with things. I tell myself I love all of them, so I don't have the courage to part with things I purchased because I liked them. Oh my zozee. Is there any hope for me????

You're coming slong great!!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Blog Entries
    I bet it does feel good to have it organized...now when you go to start your next project, it will be at your fingertips.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

zozee has really good ideas on how to tackle *anything!*.

I used to tell my kids when overwhelmed with a new large school project: How do you eat an elephant? ONE bite at a time.

Breaking things into small pieces and then working on that instead of the whole elephant is better mentally.

Now if I could only look at weight loss the same way! LOL

Blog Entries
    a huge project... true. you're doing great
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Looks great and what is funny, I have some of that fabric that is laying in a heap on your table before putting it away.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandrea View Post
    Thanks zozee for those tips on how to conquer the overwhelming feeling "where to start" Your ideas gave me some encouragement. Good ideas. I tend to look at the whole picture and then give up before I can get started. I liked the idea of setting a timer for 15 or 20 min. I think I could handle that. The only thing that scares me is the part of rating a number and purging the lower numbers because even though I may never use some of the fabrics, I have the feeling that if I want to try something new and not use real good fabrics, I can do a sample with the fabrics I'm not too fond of anymore, just to try something new in case I mess up. What do I do about that? I have trouble parting with things. I tell myself I love all of them, so I don't have the courage to part with things I purchased because I liked them. Oh my zozee. Is there any hope for me????
    Sandrea, yes, there is still hope for you! Most definitely. You can do this. As for keeping fabrics you're not too fond of to make something you might mess up, I say no. Why? Most likely it'll turn out well, and then it'll be in fabric you don't love. What's the fun of that?

If you mess up, chances are you can rip it out ,or turn it into scraps. One tip I read (here?) for making sample blocks is to make them all in one colorway. The lady makes all red/white/blue sample blocks so that she can put them all together in one patriotic quilt if she decides she doesn't want to make a bunch of the ones she didn't enjoy making. Practice with your "8" rated fabrics. I do keep SOME reject fabric to make 20x20 sandwiches for FMQ. (A solid helps you see your stitches, but is not necessary.)

Try not to think of giving what you don't like , but keeping what you love. I learned that from the Japanese organizing guru/best selling author Maria Kondo. It makes deciding so much easier. If it gives you a good feeling, keep it. If you have to justify it, or it brings you down, or you find yourself saying "I might do this or I could do that with it" you will get stuck. Free yourself mentally. When it's gone and you have space to see and breathe and move, you will feel like a new woman. I found that it got easier with each 15-minute session to decide what to keep or not. It's like gaining a new talent!

Giveaways on here are loads of fun. Might try that. (I do guessing games for some fun.)
    Last edited by zozee; 09-03-2016 at 05:01 PM.

Good for you! Looking so tidy.

great job!! Now somebody poke me to get me started!!!...lol

Power Poster
    Good job..!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Looks great! I did the same thing about a year ago. Isn't it a good feeling to walk into your sewing room and be able to see all your fabric?
    Linda
    There may be times we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest. - Elie Wiesel

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast