View Single Post
Old 10-02-2016, 11:22 AM
tessagin
Power Poster

This is similar to what JustAbitCrazy stated. I have seen this also. What is also great about this technique, you can place all your pieces and applique later. No glue to worry about. No pins to put holes in the center.
Originally Posted by mac View Post
Here is an odd thing to do, but I use it a lot:

I machine baste or hand baste the piece down. Baste about a 1/4 inch from inside sewing line. I like to do this because it's fast, I don't need to wait for the glue to dry and your thread won't get tangled on the pins. When finished, just take the basting out. If you are hand basting, you can use any kind of thread although my favorite thread to use is a bright colored quilting thread, as it is easier to see and the thickness holds the piece down better. You can use this method whether you are doing needle turn or the one with the freezer paper.

I learned this method from Jeanna Kimball. However, the way she does it is to draw the pattern to the wrong side of the fabric, puts the piece that she is appliqueing on the other side and bastes down on the lines. Then she sews it from the front, taking out the basting stitches as she sews it. This is my favorite way to applique by hand.