Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique Work Please Help?? >

Applique Work Please Help??

Applique Work Please Help??

Old 10-01-2016, 03:40 AM

I have a cone of white cheapie serger thread that I use to baste down applique pieces. Make the stitches about a quarter inch inside the outer edge so there is room to needle turn the seam. Once in a while I'll use an applique pin on a small piece, but I prefer to baste. The thread is cheap and with a few snips it pulls out and gets thrown out. Worth the time for me since I like the results.
Old 10-01-2016, 04:25 AM

I learned to do needle turn applique by placing my applique pins on the underside of the shape I was attaching. That way the thread did not get caught on the pins. I did the Baltimore Album applique. I really enjoyed it. Gluing is OK but usually adds a bit of stiffness. And, on items that will not be washed, there is the question of how it will age.
Old 10-02-2016, 05:55 AM

Glue sticks work really well.
Old 10-02-2016, 09:00 AM
mac

Here is an odd thing to do, but I use it a lot:

I machine baste or hand baste the piece down. Baste about a 1/4 inch from inside sewing line. I like to do this because it's fast, I don't need to wait for the glue to dry and your thread won't get tangled on the pins. When finished, just take the basting out. If you are hand basting, you can use any kind of thread although my favorite thread to use is a bright colored quilting thread, as it is easier to see and the thickness holds the piece down better. You can use this method whether you are doing needle turn or the one with the freezer paper.

I learned this method from Jeanna Kimball. However, the way she does it is to draw the pattern to the wrong side of the fabric, puts the piece that she is appliqueing on the other side and bastes down on the lines. Then she sews it from the front, taking out the basting stitches as she sews it. This is my favorite way to applique by hand.
Old 10-02-2016, 10:39 AM

I always use wonder under on mine. Has always worked well for me.
Old 10-02-2016, 11:22 AM
Power Poster

This is similar to what JustAbitCrazy stated. I have seen this also. What is also great about this technique, you can place all your pieces and applique later. No glue to worry about. No pins to put holes in the center.
Originally Posted by mac View Post
Here is an odd thing to do, but I use it a lot:

I machine baste or hand baste the piece down. Baste about a 1/4 inch from inside sewing line. I like to do this because it's fast, I don't need to wait for the glue to dry and your thread won't get tangled on the pins. When finished, just take the basting out. If you are hand basting, you can use any kind of thread although my favorite thread to use is a bright colored quilting thread, as it is easier to see and the thickness holds the piece down better. You can use this method whether you are doing needle turn or the one with the freezer paper.

I learned this method from Jeanna Kimball. However, the way she does it is to draw the pattern to the wrong side of the fabric, puts the piece that she is appliqueing on the other side and bastes down on the lines. Then she sews it from the front, taking out the basting stitches as she sews it. This is my favorite way to applique by hand.
Old 10-02-2016, 11:59 AM
Power Poster

I use 1/4" Wonder Tape. A little strip of it holds and it dissolves in water, no heat needed to secure it. Love this stuff.
Old 10-02-2016, 12:48 PM

I use a glue stick
Old 10-02-2016, 02:55 PM

I love ROxannes glue baste it. Best stuff there is in my opinion. I also use kids school glue sticks. Don't put glue where you want to sew.