View Single Post
Old 11-13-2016, 02:42 PM
Tippysmom

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
As it looks like you have created our flag ... Greetings from Canada!
You have me guessing that your friend is Canadian ...

Some thoughts for quilting ...
* maple leaf - dependent on the size of the leaf and whether the batting requires quilting within, I would either just SITD; or quilt in the veins of a leaf and SITD around outside edges
* echo quilt out from the leaf - could be the whole quilting for the whole flag; for just the centre panel; or just two or three echos. If just a few echos, I would keep the echo lines quite close together (1/4" perhaps!)
* a simple wave quilt design to emulate the flag blowing in the breeze could work nicely in the side panels as well as the background of the centre. I would not quilt through/over the leaf and keep with something along the idea.

Sorry, but I don't know how large you have made the flag, and so, some of my ideas may be not as desirable, dependent on the overall size.

Great ideas! I just drew a blank after I sandwiched it, so I knew if I came here the answer would be forthcoming.

yes, you are correct, my friend is Canadian, from New Brunswick. She is one of those people who can do EVERYTHING! She sews, quilts, raises chickens and ducks, is an electrical engineer ANd an architect. She has an uncanny resemblance to Julia Child and even sounds a bit like her. And, she can cook and bake like nobody's business. She weaves baskets, hooks rugs, cans food, and makes amazing stained glass. She has a dedicated area for sewing over her garage and every Thursday a couple of women come over and sew quilts for charity...children in foster care and elders in nursing homes. We have a fun time and everyone brings a lunch dish and we have a roaring good time. Jaine always bakes something special (sourdough bread, A cake or pie) and makes Grape-Nuts ice cream. She also makes cinnamon rolls to die for. So I wanted to do something special for her.

sorry for rambling on!😬