Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How the heck do I quilt this? >

How the heck do I quilt this?

How the heck do I quilt this?

Old 11-13-2016, 10:23 AM

Default How the heck do I quilt this?

I'm making this for a friend, but have no idea how to quilt it (pattern was no help).

any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails img_0687.jpg  
Old 11-13-2016, 10:37 AM

I would do echo quilting around the maple leaf and quilt veins in the leaf. It's looking really nice, by the way
Old 11-13-2016, 10:45 AM
Power Poster

As it looks like you have created our flag ... Greetings from Canada!
You have me guessing that your friend is Canadian ...

Some thoughts for quilting ...
* maple leaf - dependent on the size of the leaf and whether the batting requires quilting within, I would either just SITD; or quilt in the veins of a leaf and SITD around outside edges
* echo quilt out from the leaf - could be the whole quilting for the whole flag; for just the centre panel; or just two or three echos. If just a few echos, I would keep the echo lines quite close together (1/4" perhaps!)
* a simple wave quilt design to emulate the flag blowing in the breeze could work nicely in the side panels as well as the background of the centre. I would not quilt through/over the leaf and keep with something along the idea.

Sorry, but I don't know how large you have made the flag, and so, some of my ideas may be not as desirable, dependent on the overall size.
Old 11-13-2016, 01:30 PM
Power Poster

Very cute! I would outline quilt the leaf and add veins. I would do a meander in cream thread in the background. The side pieces I would SITD between the squares and if necessary, quilt a leaf inside the squares.
Old 11-13-2016, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
As it looks like you have created our flag ... Greetings from Canada!
You have me guessing that your friend is Canadian ...

Some thoughts for quilting ...
* maple leaf - dependent on the size of the leaf and whether the batting requires quilting within, I would either just SITD; or quilt in the veins of a leaf and SITD around outside edges
* echo quilt out from the leaf - could be the whole quilting for the whole flag; for just the centre panel; or just two or three echos. If just a few echos, I would keep the echo lines quite close together (1/4" perhaps!)
* a simple wave quilt design to emulate the flag blowing in the breeze could work nicely in the side panels as well as the background of the centre. I would not quilt through/over the leaf and keep with something along the idea.

Sorry, but I don't know how large you have made the flag, and so, some of my ideas may be not as desirable, dependent on the overall size.

Great ideas! I just drew a blank after I sandwiched it, so I knew if I came here the answer would be forthcoming.

yes, you are correct, my friend is Canadian, from New Brunswick. She is one of those people who can do EVERYTHING! She sews, quilts, raises chickens and ducks, is an electrical engineer ANd an architect. She has an uncanny resemblance to Julia Child and even sounds a bit like her. And, she can cook and bake like nobody's business. She weaves baskets, hooks rugs, cans food, and makes amazing stained glass. She has a dedicated area for sewing over her garage and every Thursday a couple of women come over and sew quilts for charity...children in foster care and elders in nursing homes. We have a fun time and everyone brings a lunch dish and we have a roaring good time. Jaine always bakes something special (sourdough bread, A cake or pie) and makes Grape-Nuts ice cream. She also makes cinnamon rolls to die for. So I wanted to do something special for her.

sorry for rambling on!😬
Old 11-13-2016, 03:00 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tippysmom View Post
...............sorry for rambling on!
No need to apologize!
You are obviously proud of your friend and friendship, and it looks like she represents we Canucks well!
It's so nice that you decided to make something special for her, and to represent her ties back to Canada.

Did you know that in 2017, our country will be celebrating our 150th year?
Celebrations will abound from coast to coast to coast ... and I am sure, many special quilts.
Your quilt will help her start those celebrations!

What size will your flag be once finished?
Old 11-14-2016, 09:09 AM

I would absolutely echo quilt the leaf. This will really make it the center of attention. I enjoy using curves with linear items, so I might do a lazy curvy line in the red sashes making it a box around the center strip.