View Single Post
Old 11-20-2016, 02:51 PM
RugosaB

My dog/quilt story:
We went to Hawaii on our honeymoon, 35 years ago, and I bought a quilt pattern. I never did anything with it until about 8-9 years ago I decided to make a wallhanging for what we now call 'the dog room' (but most people would call a 'sunroom.')

I have basenjis which, when I raised them, I told the people I never place a puppy with dumb people. IMO, they are not as domesticated as other breeds and you have to out think them.
So I made the Hawaiian hanging, and admittedly quilted it too much. But it was my first of that type so I still felt it was displayable.
My little Ibis was the dog I referred to as 'the problem child I never had.' Her whole entire life I always had to keep an eye or ear on her. I have a million stories I could share about her being bad, but in a comical, endearing way, but I will share one.
She had to stay at the vet's overnight, for observation they said. The next morning, at 8:01, I got a call from them "Can you please come get your dog?"

They told me:
1. They put her in a cage but she was so vocal, and they were afraid she was going to hurt her feet with all her digging, so they tied her up to the outside of the cage.
She chewed through 3 leashes to go visit the dogs in the other cages!
So then, they thought they would tie her up to a chair up in the front office, to keep the person there company. Well, they tied her to a chair with wheels! She just pulled it around to the back (there are no doors from the office to the back)
Finally, they put her in an exam room, put a sign on the door that said 'Dog at Play' and called very first thing in the morning!

That wall hanging had more hand quilting than all the things I've done ion my life put together. I am not a hand quilter, so never really fixed it. She was only 18” at the shoulder and I hung it a good 3-4 feet off the floor, so was totally surprised when she put holes in it.

She died a few weeks ago, and I think now I'm not going to fix it, I'll just hang it out there the way it is.
Attached Thumbnails image1.jpg   image2.jpg   image3.jpg