Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Any thoughts on how to repair! >

Any thoughts on how to repair!

Any thoughts on how to repair!

Old 11-16-2016, 04:58 AM

My daughter's dog has chewed holes in both quilts I gave her. I took pieces of the original fabric and backing and added the batting and appliqued it on top by machine. After a good wash, it was perfect. I wanted to pull the teeth out of that little dog.
Old 11-16-2016, 06:04 AM

And a clever way to hang that quilt for the picture!
Old 11-16-2016, 11:19 AM

Not sure what the quilt looks like, but when I've accidentally snipped a piece of fabric & failed to catch it -- or was just lazy -- I would cut a piece of fabric 1/2" bigger than the square & appliqué right over it with the same fabric (if available).

Otherwise, a cute appliqué or embroidery design could take care of the holes.
Old 11-16-2016, 02:54 PM

Those puppies might very well have found themselves with their suitcases out side on the road, hitching a ride! Thankfully that has never happened to me, but I have had plenty of "uh-oh's" of my own without their help.
Old 11-17-2016, 03:15 PM

I tend to be a perfectionist so I would try to remove the damaged block(s) and replace them with matching fabric since you just completed the quilt, I hope you have left-over fabric.
Old 11-17-2016, 05:26 PM
Power Poster

Sorry, I don't let my dogs around my quilts.
They sleep on folded old bath towels.
Good job on the repairs.
Old 11-17-2016, 11:45 PM

I am impressed! I do love the photo of the bad puppies being part of the quilt's history though! Thank God my pooch just like to sleep on my treasured quilts.
Old 11-20-2016, 02:51 PM

My dog/quilt story:
We went to Hawaii on our honeymoon, 35 years ago, and I bought a quilt pattern. I never did anything with it until about 8-9 years ago I decided to make a wallhanging for what we now call 'the dog room' (but most people would call a 'sunroom.')

I have basenjis which, when I raised them, I told the people I never place a puppy with dumb people. IMO, they are not as domesticated as other breeds and you have to out think them.
So I made the Hawaiian hanging, and admittedly quilted it too much. But it was my first of that type so I still felt it was displayable.
My little Ibis was the dog I referred to as 'the problem child I never had.' Her whole entire life I always had to keep an eye or ear on her. I have a million stories I could share about her being bad, but in a comical, endearing way, but I will share one.
She had to stay at the vet's overnight, for observation they said. The next morning, at 8:01, I got a call from them "Can you please come get your dog?"

They told me:
1. They put her in a cage but she was so vocal, and they were afraid she was going to hurt her feet with all her digging, so they tied her up to the outside of the cage.
She chewed through 3 leashes to go visit the dogs in the other cages!
So then, they thought they would tie her up to a chair up in the front office, to keep the person there company. Well, they tied her to a chair with wheels! She just pulled it around to the back (there are no doors from the office to the back)
Finally, they put her in an exam room, put a sign on the door that said 'Dog at Play' and called very first thing in the morning!

That wall hanging had more hand quilting than all the things I've done ion my life put together. I am not a hand quilter, so never really fixed it. She was only 18” at the shoulder and I hung it a good 3-4 feet off the floor, so was totally surprised when she put holes in it.

She died a few weeks ago, and I think now I'm not going to fix it, I'll just hang it out there the way it is.
Attached Thumbnails image1.jpg   image2.jpg   image3.jpg  
Old 11-20-2016, 03:11 PM
Power Poster

Great job!![QUOTE=loisf;7700107]My friend's German Shepherd ate many holes in the quilt i had made for her. She un
Old 11-21-2016, 07:40 AM

I have several quilts from my youth/childhood that my grandmother had to patch. Not dog damage, more like I was making a "survival tent" with it outside and poked a stick through it, or I was using it as a cape and when I "flew" off of the top bunk it caught and tore on something.

Gran never really tried to disguise the patches, she'd put something handy there - sometimes even things like my uncle's old boyscout patches, or some MAC truck patch my grandpa had laying around.

I love all of the patches, they're all different and unique and to me they enhance the quilt and give it more history. And I kind of like that the old damage isn't really hidden, I can look at the quilt and remember the time when I was a "superhero", or was "lost" on a "deserted island".