Thread: Tips needed
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2016, 11:02 AM
wildyard

My sewing space is small, but packed with fabric and I have many little tricks to make things easier for myself. I use organizational tools and repurpose items to suit my purposes.
I have a desk caddy converted into sewing tool caddy that sits to the right of my machine on my sewing desk. This holds all my scissors, rulers for marking fabrics, a cup for my smaller items, etc. Next to it sits a box of tissues and next to that a square metal basket with scrap paper for notes and math figuring, etc. This basket has a handle that folds down and will hold up the lid of my safety pin box when I need it to stay open during quilting so I can easily drop the pins in as I remove them. Before I figured out using the handle, the lid of the pin tin kept falling shut and slowing me down. LOL Little things make all the difference. My thread holder has a bobbin holder on it for the filled bobbins and my snips are attached to it by a ribbon, but I added a loop of elastic at the end for those times when the ribbon is just a bit too short. And now, when I drop the snips, I just grab the ribbon and tug them back up.
I have a shelf with gallon size plastic bags that hold my scraplets by color. This makes for fast easy access for sorting and making string blocks. Just grab a bag or bags to work with the colors of choice.
My cutting table is the top of a dresser I redid. My rulers are in the narrow top drawer. It sits in front of the window and also serves as my ironing station. On the window ledge I keep extra scissors in a cup; pens and pencils in another cup; a spray bottle on a candle holder for height; a cube of note paper.
All of my fabric is sorted by color, including scraps, except for batiks and novelty, which are sorted by types. I also have bins for precuts.