Thread: Tinsel on Tree
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2016, 04:58 AM
zozee

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
My mom used the old type tinsel. Apparently, how to correctly put tinsel on the tree was a major obsession with her because it took much discussion to do it. Consequently, I don't have any desire to put tinsel on my tree. I'm not as obsessive as she was and just don't really like it that well. I have gold star garlands the I put on the tree. I love the sparkle and little stars.

My thoughts EXACTLY. My mom made us hang us each strand "just so" and I hated her OCD-ishness about it. Took the fun out of it, but she wasn't one to take no for an answer when it came to helping. Plus the darn stuff back then was also static-y, at least in our house. So trying to get the tinsel strands 1) separated from each other out of the package 2) perfectly hanging even on both sides and 3) not sticking to us as we went, was a trifecta from holiday purgatory. We always had real trees that we dug up from the "back 40" which had to be replanted when the ground had thawed. Mama knew the dangers of tinsel to wildlife, so we had to carefully pick each and every strand OFF the tree before Daddy replanted.

I use wired ribbon on my tree and if I get anyone to help me, I am never persnickety. I just say "try to balance the placement." That's it. But I only live with hubby and teenage son now, both of whom have zero interest in trim trimming. The upside is I have free rein to decorate it my way!

Last edited by zozee; 12-04-2016 at 05:00 AM.