View Single Post
Old 12-04-2016, 11:40 AM
SarahBethie

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
So, after all this wise advice we have offered, have you taken rotary cutter and ruler in hand and reshape a few pieces of fabric, then sewed them together to get a "block"? One can read, research, save, file, and accumulate all sorts of information, ideas, etc., but then roll up your sleeves and "just try"....that's what it's all about.....satisfy that curiousity.
I'm not that kind of hobbyist. And unlike sewing, for me, quilting is an aesthetic exercise. That's probably the largest stumbling block I've had to overcome, though I wasn't aware of its existence. The visual divorce that's commonplace in sewing is wholly absent. If I don't like what I see I will be put off. I can't explain why that's the case.

I've also taken a sustainable approach and prefer natural fabrics. That's another consideration I didn't know going in. Research has enabled me to discover the look I liked, secure the materials I lacked, and sign up for a couple of classes. I made a fabric run yesterday and it was very productive. Is that progress by most people's standards? I don't know. But then again I'm desiring to create items that will fit into to a larger color scheme and decor.

I've found a lap quilt and wall hanging that are very appealing. They're simple projects that a beginner can handle. And I'm happy to report that I've discovered five additional examples that I've added to my to-do list. It's been time well spent.