Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Beginner Project Suggestions >

Beginner Project Suggestions

Beginner Project Suggestions

Old 12-02-2016, 08:45 PM

The glove may not be the most comfortable, but many a quilter can tell you their horror stories about how their cutter slipped--and the cut, the blood, the trip to the urgent care, the pain, did I mention the blood? Just fair warning. I don't always wear mine, either, but someone said it's a bit like playing Russian roulette.
Old 12-03-2016, 12:35 AM

I appreciate the warning and believe you're wise to provide it. But my creative endeavors include knives and power tools. The rotary cutter is much safer.
Old 12-03-2016, 06:04 AM

So, after all this wise advice we have offered, have you taken rotary cutter and ruler in hand and reshape a few pieces of fabric, then sewed them together to get a "block"? One can read, research, save, file, and accumulate all sorts of information, ideas, etc., but then roll up your sleeves and "just try"....that's what it's all about.....satisfy that curiousity.
Old 12-04-2016, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
So, after all this wise advice we have offered, have you taken rotary cutter and ruler in hand and reshape a few pieces of fabric, then sewed them together to get a "block"? One can read, research, save, file, and accumulate all sorts of information, ideas, etc., but then roll up your sleeves and "just try"....that's what it's all about.....satisfy that curiousity.
I'm not that kind of hobbyist. And unlike sewing, for me, quilting is an aesthetic exercise. That's probably the largest stumbling block I've had to overcome, though I wasn't aware of its existence. The visual divorce that's commonplace in sewing is wholly absent. If I don't like what I see I will be put off. I can't explain why that's the case.

I've also taken a sustainable approach and prefer natural fabrics. That's another consideration I didn't know going in. Research has enabled me to discover the look I liked, secure the materials I lacked, and sign up for a couple of classes. I made a fabric run yesterday and it was very productive. Is that progress by most people's standards? I don't know. But then again I'm desiring to create items that will fit into to a larger color scheme and decor.

I've found a lap quilt and wall hanging that are very appealing. They're simple projects that a beginner can handle. And I'm happy to report that I've discovered five additional examples that I've added to my to-do list. It's been time well spent.