Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Beginner Project Suggestions >

Beginner Project Suggestions

Beginner Project Suggestions

Old 12-01-2016, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by rvsfan View Post
Be sure you select a beginners class and never pay full price, in time they ALWAYS come on sale, usually not all at the same time, so watch for the one you want. Good luck, you will love it.
It's a waiting game of sorts with them. Their latest offering didn't include the sewing or quilting classes! Hopefully we'll see something crop up during their 12 Days of Christmas promotion. $14.99 can't be beat.
Old 12-01-2016, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222 View Post
You could try the Elenore Burns patterns. Her site is called quiltinaday.com She also has free videos to watch to help you through the quilt if you get stuck. But, her patterns are so straight forward the way they are written, even novices can get through most of them with very little trouble. My first, years ago, was a log cabin in a day.

Just use your colors that the picture links in you first post shows and you will love them just as much.
Someone mentioned her earlier and I visited the site. I also checked to see if my library carried her books. They had a couple. I'm glad you brought up the colors. Sometimes it's hard to divorce what you see from the fabric you have in mind. I'm uncertain why that happens for me with quilts. I don't have the same issue with garments.
Old 12-01-2016, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by mjpEncinitas View Post
Go right to Craftsy (online classes) and sign up for Amy Gibsons 2012 block of the month. You'll make about 20 different 12" blocks using different techniques. She walks you through each block. You can make a table runner from it or turn it into a big quilt at the end. Bite sized chunks that you can complete easily. I had a sense of accomplishment after each block. I'm now putting them together for a bigger quilt. You don't have to do all the blocks. Best of all this class is free, geared towards beginners, and will show you which techniques you prefer to explore further. After that if you want to learn how to free motion quilt you can purchase the associated Leah Day class which shows you how to quilt each of those blocks. Wait for a sale to purchase this class. Craftsy always has sales.
I picked up all the free quilting classes as they've become available. Maybe I was destined to be here. How long did it take you to finish your blocks? Thanks for the suggestions. I've seen a few samplers and they're quite cute.

This is such a rabbit's hole. Pretty soon I'll be asking about applique!
Old 12-01-2016, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by klswift View Post
Both of your examples are great, but, I would start with something even easier so you can get your 1/4" seam practice. I often start my students with a split rail pattern. You can do a 3 or 5 strip and make then any width you would like. I usually start with 3 strips and cut them 2 1/2" each. This gives you a lot of practice with the seams and also gives you some 'fudge' room if they aren't perfect. You cut your blocks according to how wide your finished strip set is and you can trim a tiny bit from the edges without it being noticed. Perfect will come with practice! It is also a quick pattern because when you sew the strip and cut it - boom - you have a whole bunch of blocks done. Then, by laying them out, you don't have lots of seams or points to match. You have lots of options because you could add sashing and cornerstones along with your borders or keep it very simple with no borders and 'birth it'.
Thank you for sharing your method. How many blocks do your students make? Are they combined for a smaller project or a quilt instead?
Old 12-01-2016, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by pal View Post
I suggest that you try (3) six or nine patches and sew them together to make a table runner (using klswift's above method) Finish it completely and use it on your kitchen table so that you have to move it to eat. This ensures that you'll have to look at it every day (clever, right?) You will have chosen fabrics that you thought "went together" -
tried out the rotary cutter with simple lines, attempted 1/4" seams and matching corners and completed your first quilting project without too much trauma.
That's the beauty of asking questions. You get unexpected answers. I always assumed that the table runners were simply blocks combined. That's how they appeared in the books. Instructions aside of course.

Your suggestion about seeing the item every day is very apropos. I'm visually astute, although that isn't my method of learning. I would notice the imperfections and other nuances that an untrained eye might miss. Not because I'm expert. I've gleaned that from art and photography. It's not the lack of experience that's really the culprit. It's the omission of visualization. I can see other things in my mind quite clearly. But that hasn't happened with quilting as of yet. I don't see it right now. And for me that's half the battle.

But I will. I'm still getting my head around the techniques. It will come together. Thank you. That's just what I needed to hear.
Old 12-01-2016, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by red-warrior View Post
I took a beginner course and loved it so much that I took it 3 times and learned more each time! Jackie Lynn's Fabric in Rochester,NY offers a 3 day beginner make a lap quilt and long arm it for $75 and it includes lunch each day. If you live a driving distance from it, I recommend it highly! They also offer boot camp 2 & 3 to expand your piecing and long arm skills that I hope to take soon.
What a surprise. I'll be in the vicinity next year. Do you know when the boot camp will take place? Do they long arm your quilt or do you learn to do so yourself? If you've taken the class three times it must be great. Congrats!
Old 12-01-2016, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by ShannanMN View Post
I recently started working with a beginner too. Our first project was a jelly roll race quilt. Get VERY USED TO THE 1/4" SEAM! it also quickly becomes a nice lap quilt.

Our second project was a log cabin baby quilt, to get used to rotary cutting and chain piecing... then moved on to a simple half square triangle pattern like a churn dash or a quarter square triangle Ohio star block, matching abutting seams... Those we did as a a baby quilt and table runners, just to get and practice some skills. After that she felt comfortable tackling more challenging patterns.
That's a wonderful lesson plan. Thank you for explaining each project's purpose. I'm very technique driven and developing skills which build upon the other is ideal. Admittedly I'm smiling. You've all be very kind!
Old 12-01-2016, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
The easiest quilt with the best primary skill builder is an Irish Chain quilt. (Irish Chain quilt patterns are free all over the 'net) Nine parches and solid squares alternating makes a pretty two color table runner, then I would try one of your patterns to learn even more skills. Both offer nice skill building lessons for a beginner. Just be patient with you while you learn a new obsession. No judges or quilt police here. If you need help, come to us.
I've seen this but I never knew what it was called! Thank you for the recommendation. I'll be overrun with quilts in due time!

More importantly, thank you for your kind words. You've all been so nice. It's very unexpected. I've found the right community and that's a blessing. I can't wait to share my new creations with you all.
Old 12-01-2016, 08:10 PM

Welcome to quilting! Have you checked the other patterns available on that web site? Scroll down & on the left side you will see 3 earlier quilts that have a shabby chic look & look to be easier. I have printed them out for future projects.
Enjoy!
Old 12-01-2016, 08:21 PM

do a simple log cabin or 5 inch square pattern lots are available for free. Also check out craftsy for free classes and low cost classes. Enjoy the process. don't worry about being perfect.