Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Beginner Project Suggestions >

Beginner Project Suggestions

Beginner Project Suggestions

Old 12-01-2016, 06:43 AM
Power Poster

You could try the Elenore Burns patterns. Her site is called quiltinaday.com She also has free videos to watch to help you through the quilt if you get stuck. But, her patterns are so straight forward the way they are written, even novices can get through most of them with very little trouble. My first, years ago, was a log cabin in a day.

Just use your colors that the picture links in you first post shows and you will love them just as much.

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 12-01-2016 at 06:47 AM.
Old 12-01-2016, 08:10 AM

Go right to Craftsy (online classes) and sign up for Amy Gibsons 2012 block of the month. You'll make about 20 different 12" blocks using different techniques. She walks you through each block. You can make a table runner from it or turn it into a big quilt at the end. Bite sized chunks that you can complete easily. I had a sense of accomplishment after each block. I'm now putting them together for a bigger quilt. You don't have to do all the blocks. Best of all this class is free, geared towards beginners, and will show you which techniques you prefer to explore further.
https://www.craftsy.com/quilting/cla...nth-2012/35549

After that if you want to learn how to free motion quilt you can purchase the associated Leah Day class which shows you how to quilt each of those blocks. Wait for a sale to purchase this class. Craftsy always has sales.
Old 12-01-2016, 08:58 AM

Both of your examples are great, but, I would start with something even easier so you can get your 1/4" seam practice. I often start my students with a split rail pattern. You can do a 3 or 5 strip and make then any width you would like. I usually start with 3 strips and cut them 2 1/2" each. This gives you a lot of practice with the seams and also gives you some 'fudge' room if they aren't perfect. You cut your blocks according to how wide your finished strip set is and you can trim a tiny bit from the edges without it being noticed. Perfect will come with practice! It is also a quick pattern because when you sew the strip and cut it - boom - you have a whole bunch of blocks done. Then, by laying them out, you don't have lots of seams or points to match. You have lots of options because you could add sashing and cornerstones along with your borders or keep it very simple with no borders and 'birth it'. Then most important thing, no matter what pattern or size you make, is to have fun. Welcome to the quilting community.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:52 AM
pal

I suggest that you try (3) six or nine patches and sew them together to make a table runner (using klswift's above method) Finish it completely and use it on your kitchen table so that you have to move it to eat. This ensures that you'll have to look at it every day (clever, right?) You will have chosen fabrics that you thought "went together" -
tried out the rotary cutter with simple lines, attempted 1/4" seams and matching corners and completed your first quilting project without too much trauma. I think it's really important that you successfully complete a small project before you go on to a larger one. Welcome, you're going to love this trip!!!
Old 12-01-2016, 10:18 AM

I took a beginner course and loved it so much that I took it 3 times and learned more each time! Jackie Lynn's Fabric in Rochester,NY offers a 3 day beginner make a lap quilt and long arm it for $75 and it includes lunch each day. If you live a driving distance from it, I recommend it highly! They also offer boot camp 2 & 3 to expand your piecing and long arm skills that I hope to take soon.
As far as patterns go ,look for one to start with that does not have a lot of seams to match.
Old 12-01-2016, 11:57 AM

I recently started working with a beginner too. Our first project was a jelly roll race quilt. Get VERY USED TO THE 1/4" SEAM! it also quickly becomes a nice lap quilt.

Our second project was a log cabin baby quilt, to get used to rotary cutting and chain piecing... then moved on to a simple half square triangle pattern like a churn dash or a quarter square triangle Ohio star block, matching abutting seams... Those we did as a a baby quilt and table runners, just to get and practice some skills. After that she felt comfortable tackling more challenging patterns.
Old 12-01-2016, 12:23 PM

YouTube is awesome! Missouri Star is my favorite! Jenny is the reason I quilt!! I love the Mary Fonz Quilty videos too - very geared toward the beginner quilter. She also talks about color and fabric choice.
Old 12-01-2016, 01:14 PM

,,both of the patterns you have chosen are beautiful, but could be quite challenging as a first ever quilter. You can do one of them , but my two cents worth is to try an even easier pattern as you first table runner just to get used to the process and learn the skills for a beginner. The easiest quilt with the best primary skill builder is an Irish Chain quilt. (Irish Chain quilt patterns are free all over the 'net) Nine parches and solid squares alternating makes a pretty two color table runner, then I would try one of your patterns to learn even more skills. Both offer nice skill building lessons for a beginner. Just be patient with you while you learn a new obsession. Welcome to the club and remember, if we can ride by on a fast horse and it looks good, it is good. No judges or quilt police here. If you need help, come to us.

Last edited by madamekelly; 12-01-2016 at 01:19 PM.
Old 12-01-2016, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by illinois View Post
Pictures of your proposed projects aren't showing up on my end so have no comment on those. If you have no experience, I suggest a 4 patch or 9 patch with alternating plain squares and keep your project small so you don't become overwhelmed. Once you get the hang of it--try making pinwheels or a Friendship Star using half square triangles. Those are fun, too.
Thank you for the suggestions. I don't believe 4 patch has been mentioned and that's another worth exploring as is Friendship Star.

Truth be told, sewing isn't very daunting. Golf and photography elicit more frustration and I was largely self-taught in each. This is more relaxing. I suppose my penchant for pretty things plays a part.
Old 12-01-2016, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
Welcome to the QB Sarah...it sounds like you've found a lot of resources already including Craftsy. I have purchased several classes over the years which have helped me in my quilting journey. Turning Twenty was one of my first projects and I think Yellow Brick Road is also an easy pattern for a lap or throw size. Just remember to enjoy the ride. : )
Thank you for the Craftsy feedback. It's a great resource especially for those who don't have a thriving craft community. I like the convenience factor and the ability to remain happily settled when winter arrives. Is there a particular class you enjoyed?