Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Beginner Project Suggestions >

Beginner Project Suggestions

Beginner Project Suggestions

Old 11-30-2016, 03:15 PM

You've picked gorgeous quilts, but as the other posters have said, they're not the easiest with which to start. Take a look at Jenny Doan's videos on YouTube and try something based on squares so you won't be discouraged by the difficulties presented by diagonals and tight circles. Welcome to a great creative outlet - be sure to post your progress!
Old 11-30-2016, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
I don't want to discourage you, but the 2 patterns you refer to in your post may present a challenge. The triangles will all have bias edges and may pull out of shape with handling. Also, her instruction to let the tips overhang and 'equal amount' is good, but I made a similar pattern and had a difficult time keeping them aligned. The other pattern has curved piecing, and the curve is quite tight, which may cause difficulties. You may want to look at a pattern based on squares for a first go. If you do want to go forward with one of your example quilts, I would go with the triangles. Starch the fabric well to avoid stretching the bias, and only cut a few pieces then sew to see how it goes before cutting all your fabric.
Please don't apologize! I'm glad you spoke honestly. They're obviously not geared for a beginner. But now I have two projects to put on my to-do list that I'll look forward to making. I'm not disappointed. If anything, I'm more encouraged to build up my skills and enjoy the process along the way.

I have a pattern based on squares. I like that look. Thank you for your help!
Old 11-30-2016, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by suern3 View Post
I agree with Jordan and cashs_mom. I started with a six week beginner class at a quilt shop and it was the best thing I could have done. I hope you will take this advice. If you aren't able to do that for some reason, the next best thing would be a good book on beginner quilting. These are available on Amazon or your local library can help you find one.
There's one lone source for quilting classes in my area. It isn't surprising. Knitting commands a bigger draw. I may start with Craftsy until I'm able to take them at a different location in the spring. I'll be in a huge crafting community and that will make a difference. Thank you.
Old 11-30-2016, 03:57 PM

I'm relatively new to quilting. The hard part of quilting is cutting your fabric accurately and sewing a 1/4" seam consistently. To get the seams to match, you have to do both.

The first time you cut out a quilt, the ruler slides just a bit. Then your machine pulls a little one way or the other. For some reason, the squares just don't come out the same size. They just don't meet correctly. Therefore the seams won't match exactly. For that reason, everyone is encouraging you to pick a pattern that doesn't require too many seams to match. I also would suggest you just make a lap quilt (or a baby quilt) as finishing your first project will make you want to go to the next one.

I would suggest a rail fence:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/53996852@N03/5061111510

Or, maybe a brick road as someone else suggested:
http://www.quilterscache.com/R/RailFenceBlock.html

I made a disappearing 9 patch for my first quilt. I did not take a class. Unfortunately, my local quilt shop really put the hard sell on me on the class. They were making a wall hanging which I had no interest in making. So I went off on my own. Fortunately, I had sewed a lot of clothing as a young person, so I was familiar with sewing. I watched a lot of youtube videos, the ladies on the quilting forum at Gardenweb helped me and another local quilt shop helped as well. I think the class would have made it easier, though.

bkay

I succeeded, however:
Attached Thumbnails dsc_0497.jpg  

Last edited by bkay; 11-30-2016 at 04:01 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 11-30-2016, 04:14 PM

YouTube - Missouri star quilt company - many, many easy project using precuts...the company is a great source with reasonable prices....look into that as a starting point. Another good teacher with tutes on YouTube is Eleanor Burns of quilt in a day...her books are well illustrated and directions are complete and easy to follow.......
Old 11-30-2016, 04:19 PM

I agree with Tartan -- Warm Wishes is a great way to start.

My sister just took up quilting. She had done no sewing at all since a bad high school experience. She went on a retreat with me. First she did a 36 x 36 service project quilt that was just squares and a border. Then she did a Warm Wishes 36x36 service quilt where she chose the fabrics. Everything was very successful; she is hooked; I am thrilled.
Old 11-30-2016, 04:32 PM

I agree with the taking an "in person" class, but I'm going to disagree with people discouraging you from doing anything but squares & "easy." I took beginning, intermediate and advanced classes with a VERY challenging teacher who wanted us to learn lots of skills & techniques. I hadn't sewn in 30 years. We did a crib-sized sampler quilt that had lots of difficult techniques, including triangles, templates, flying geese, hand applique, curved seams and Y-seams. If you love it and can sew you can do it. I might not start with circles though
Old 11-30-2016, 05:11 PM

Warm wishes is an easy pattern. Another is disappearing nine patch. It can look so complicated but is quite easy. Putting different pro to together gives your quilt more interest. Use different size prints, small medium large and tone on tone
Old 11-30-2016, 05:40 PM

I started my GDIL (age 27, limited experience at a sewing machine) on potholders. She did the one made from 6 pieces of 9" square fabric and requires no handwork. I'm not sure what they are called but super easy. She had 2 pair made for gifts quickly and left here with a huge feeling of accomplishment. We'll work into placemats or a table runner next.
Old 11-30-2016, 06:34 PM

I agree with you bkay. Disappearing 9 Patch is a great pattern to start with. There are so many things you can do with it.