Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Beginner quilt book suggestions ??

DJ
    What's your suggestion for the best quilting book for someone interest in quilting but has never done it before?

I know this is the best source for this information! Thanks!

You might want to start with El Burns. You can get a DVD and take it step by step. Best Wishes to the beginning of your new life!!!!

Blog Entries
    I can't remember the exact title , but it is something like " your First quilt book ( or is should be!) Has a red cover !

Fons and Porter Complete Guide to Quilting. Became my bible!!

This is the book I learned with:
    http://www.leisurearts.com/items/129...t/default.aspx

I still have it and use it. I liked it because it made a sampler that will expose you to all the basic quiltmaking techniques, straight seams, set in "Y" seams, applique, mitered borders, bias binding etc. It also gave recommended quilting designs for each block, along with pattern you could trace onto your completed block. It provided templates for all blocks but I ended up measuring the templates and cutting with my ruler. I loved this book for learning quilting and it gave me the confidence to try any pattern I see. I have since made attic windows, tumbling blocks and am currently working on a mariners compass quilt. Not only that but the finished sampler is a beautiful bed quilt.

Quilters Academy Vol 1-Freshman Year by Harriet Hargrave and Carrie Hargrave.

There's a book at Joann's called "Quilting 101". It's yellow w/ a purple block on the cover. It has step-by-step photos and some very simple projects for a beginner. I bought it for someone and they still refer back to it.

Blog Entries
    You really can't beat a "Quilt in a Day" book by Elanor Burns
    for clear instructions for a beginner quilter.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I'm not sure if it's "the best" but "Quilts! Quilts! Quilts!" is a what I learned from.

I have Carol Doak's Your First Quilt Book (or it should be) in like-new condition and would be willing to sell it. If interested, you can pm me and we will discuss the details.

Blog Entries
    Fortunately I started with Pam Bono's Rotary Cutting book. "More Rotary Cutting"??? Also her "It's Not Just Another Cover-up" book has all the same stuff. The quilts are a bit more advanced but her descriptions and techniques are very well explained and I feel I would not have been willing to just jump right in like I did. She seems to make thing easier and more "sensible" to me. Check the library. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by sharon b
    I can't remember the exact title , but it is something like " your First quilt book ( or is should be!) Has a red cover !
    The author is Carol Doak and I totally agree with you! I have refered back to this book so many times...I even had it spiral-bound to make looking at it easier. I need to get me another copy of this book. It helps you learn step-by-step..in very easy language/pictures. I highly recommend it!!

OK, the first quilting book I got to teach me quilting (absolutely no previous experience what so ever) is Carol Doak's "Your First Quilting Book, Or It Should Be>." I love it and still refer to it a lot..it has lots of information and tips about fabrics, supplies, colors, cutting, piecing (both hand and machine) as well as quilting (again both hand and machine). It is also a great guide for borders, sashing, and binding. It has a half a dozen of easy easy started quilt projects to get the feet wet and imagination hooked. I would go with it.

Pam
    Best advice: get it at the LIBRARY!!! Save you $$ for the yummy fabrics.

Fons & Porter Complete Guide-you'll never quit using it.

I must say that E. Burns has got to be one of the best to watch by video and her books are easy to understand.

Here is a link for you:
    http://www.quiltinaday.com/

Another place to get beginner quilting books is at the public library and they are very helpful also. I do think if you can go to a hands on class, that would be an excellent start.

Last, the ladies on this forum are very very smart in quilting. Ask questions and read then do.

Hope this helps.

Quiltbaby

this is my very favorite of all the books I have bought. I always go back to this book every time and I have only been quilting 3 years,good luck.http://www.amazon.com/Quilters-Ultim...der_0875969879
    Karen

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wichypoo
    this is my very favorite of all the books I have bought. I always go back to this book every time and I have only been quilting 3 years,good luck.http://www.amazon.com/Quilters-Ultim...der_0875969879
    Karen
    OK, wichypoo, you win! I just placed it in my Amazon Cart!

I have that one and it's really good with lots of basics. It is red and bigger than most paperbacks but smaller than the magazine size of many quilting books.

I am new to quilting also. Just started the end of November.

I have many, many quilt books but my all time favorite for beginners is:

"The Complete Photo Guilde to Machine Quilting = The Quilting Guide"

This is a fantastic. It is almost like looking at tutorials where they walk you through the steps.

You can get it at Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...quilting+bible

To me, this is the best! :) I have many of the ones mentioned but this is the one I keep at my sewing machine!
    :)

Definitely Fons and Porter Complete Guide to Quilting. I bought the soft cover version and used it so much some pages were slipping out. I took it to the office supply store and had them put a plastic spiral binding on it. Now it lies flat when I open it. I refer to it all the time and I have been quilting for 16 years.

Blog Entries
    I have used many books, Pam Bono is the best. Her patterns fit and with proper seams etc, always match. Jolo

I agree El Burns is by far the best teacher.
    For a basic book that covers everything go to Borders and check out the bargain books. I got Better Homes and Gardens Complete quilting book for 5.98 and have seen it since for the same price. It is a great reference quide.

The Complete Guide to Quilting by Better Homes and Gardens. Klue recommended it. it is great! I got it from a site where they will find the cheapest price. I think you could google cheapest price for books and it might come up.

I just went to the library and picked out a bunch! Remember to take a bag, you'll want to borrow LOTS! I couldnt believe how many quilt books our library had, and its a pretty small one. Wonder what some of the big libraries have!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast