Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Beginner quilt book suggestions ??

Quote Originally Posted by sharon b
    I can't remember the exact title , but it is something like " your First quilt book ( or is should be!) Has a red cover !

I like this one too. It's called "Your First Quilt Book (or it should be!) by Carol Doak. Another good one is "Make Your
    First Quilt" by M'Liss Rae Hawley. It gives you good instructions starting from the very beginning and by the time you've finished, you've made a very nice lap-sized sampler. It was my second quilt. I tied it rather than quilting it and it turned out really nice. If I were going to make it again, I'd stick with the colors suggested in the book.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I started with Elenor Burns Quilt in a Day series. My first quilt was court house steps.

Blog Entries
    I have done two of hers now so it'll be a while before I do another! But their designing is incredible.

Sunflowers for Daughter & hubbie
    Name:  Attachment-23727.gif
Views: 25
Size:  113.5 KB

Out of Darkness
    Name:  Attachment-23728.jpe
Views: 19
Size:  118.2 KB

Blog Entries
    awesome Kitsie, Love your quilts. I made the sunflower one too. Of course it did not stay mine long, a graat aunt wanted it so It went to her. JOlo

Quote Originally Posted by mamaw
    I have Carol Doak's Your First Quilt Book (or it should be) in like-new condition and would be willing to sell it. If interested, you can pm me and we will discuss the details.
    DJ
    This book that mamaw has is ABSOLUTELY GREAT! I have it and love it. I have learned soooo much from this book it is unbelieveable.
    I won't part with mine...should grab it if she wants to sell it.
    That's my 2 cents worth.

I've had many quilt books but the best information came from taking a class. After a few beginner quilts, I took a quilt class at the lqs. I learned SO much from that class. Good Luck and enjoy your quilting.

I started quilting in '89 after watching Georgia Bonesteel's lap quilting series on GPB. Have most of her books and the other favorite is the Fons and Porter Complete Guide, spiral bound. It has just about everything you will need to know and is written like a tutorial.

You can read a book ... or even better yet, take a beginning quilting course at a Local Quilt Store [LQS] and get even more info. Also, see if there is a quilting guild in your area as they are usuall so friendly and welcoming.

Having a 'quilting buddy' is the best thing ever. Whether you meet that person at a LQS, a class, a guild, or a retreat.

Another idea: go to a quilt camp. You can try www.quiltcamp.com for one example.

Blog Entries
    I started by making the Eleanor Burns' "Pioneer Sampler."

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic
    This is the book I learned with:
    http://www.leisurearts.com/items/129...t/default.aspx

I still have it and use it. I liked it because it made a sampler that will expose you to all the basic quiltmaking techniques, straight seams, set in "Y" seams, applique, mitered borders, bias binding etc. It also gave recommended quilting designs for each block, along with pattern you could trace onto your completed block. It provided templates for all blocks but I ended up measuring the templates and cutting with my ruler. I loved this book for learning quilting and it gave me the confidence to try any pattern I see. I have since made attic windows, tumbling blocks and am currently working on a mariners compass quilt. Not only that but the finished sampler is a beautiful bed quilt.
    I wish I could afford that book, I am teaching myself to quilt, and that is just what I need. thank you for sharing. Penny

I learned using Quilting 101.

Quote Originally Posted by sharon b
    I can't remember the exact title , but it is something like " your First quilt book ( or is should be!) Has a red cover !
    That sounds like Carol Doaks PP book.

Gal
    I'm with Pam, I use my local library a lot and I mean a lot!!!! They have very much beginner books right up to the advanced and often have the popular 'How to books' which are up to date and I can always order in the older books if I wish. Not to mention all the quilting Mags that they have as well, with free patterns.
    I have been known to carry home about 30 quilting mags at one time, when I am on a mission looking for ideas!!!!!!!
    I am addicted to looking at quilting books and mags and this site, Lol! The library is free so I do not have to pay for my addiction!

Gal

The one I always required the beginner gal's to get was the BetterHomes and Gardens Quilting. $19.00 at JoAnn's but use a coupon. It is the best book I have used to teach out of in all the 20 years I have been teaching and I have a lot of books....
    You will love it.
    ConnieF
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/069...8ZV81NJ3RA3WR6

I just put a new Dvd by Elenor Burns on an follow her instructions. I do have her books too but find her the best quilting teacher!!!!! I have been so disappointed in store classes and our local classes.

When I started quilting I bought a baby quilt pattern book at JoAns. It had all the speed piecing techniques to make the projects go faster. Just loved it. Made a couple patterns from it and then gave it to a new quilter. Sorry can't remember the name of it. Author has two books out now. Watch quilting show on TV if you have them in your area. I have three shows I watch every Saturday morning. Wonderful way to start my weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by DJ
    What's your suggestion for the best quilting book for someone interest in quilting but has never done it before?

I know this is the best source for this information! Thanks!
    Hi new quilter==first -good luck First book-buy Quilting 101-this a beginner's guide=this two other books I like -are Rotary Magic and Color Magic for Quilters

Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    I'm not sure if it's "the best" but "Quilts! Quilts! Quilts!" is a what I learned from.
    Yes, that and the one that follows it. Great instruction and pictures.

Blog Entries
    I really like this one: The Quilters Ultimate Visual Guide: From A to Z-- Hundreds of Tips and Techniques for Successful Quiltmaking. I have given this book to others as a gift. I love it. It was a big help to me when I was a newbie. I still refer to it!

Here is a picture of it on Amazon.
    http://www.amazon.com/Quilters-Ultim.../dp/0875969879

You'll never go wrong with Fons and Porters Complete Guide to Quilting. I bought one at a book sale for 50 cents.....my best buy ever.
    I will suggest that before you start quilting, take a beginning quilting course at your lqs. I did that and now all the quilting books make perfect sense.

You'll never go wrong with Fons and Porters Complete Guide to Quilting. I bought one at a book sale for 50 cents.....my best buy ever.
    I will suggest that before you start quilting, take a beginning quilting course at your lqs. I did that and now all the quilting books make perfect sense.

If you have high speed internet, heres all the videos you need.
    http://quilterstv.com

I just love her, seen her on TV and she makes it so interesting & easy.

Quote Originally Posted by sewgray
    Quilters Academy Vol 1-Freshman Year by Harriet Hargrave and Carrie Hargrave.
    Love this book too. I just bought Volume II Sophomore Year.

I think the best reference book I own, aside from the Georgia Bonesteel ones is the Fons and Porter complete guide, spiral bound. I could just kick myself, saw one at the flea market in Ranger,NC and didn't buy it. The next day I got a message from my cousin, she has just started quilting, it would have been great for her.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2